94 Mazda MX - 3 GS vs 97 Honda Prelude TypeS

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
iRobsta
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

94 Mazda MX - 3 GS vs 97 Honda Prelude TypeS

Post by iRobsta »

How do you think my car would put against my best friends car?

I've been driving manual for about two weeks now, while he's just stared. He sent his car in to the mechanic today to get it satisfied and looked at.
Think my car can put up a good fight? I can redline very well, to my surprise, I picked up driving manual quite quickly.
He's just going to be starting off.

Like I said, I have the GS model, the 1.8L v6 (k8). The car is 100% stock when I bought it (still is) with 163k km's on it and in near perfect condition.
His car has a body with over 270k km's on it and a new engine swap with "138k km's" on it but neither of us know for certain, just going by what the seller said. It has one of those loud mufflers (cherry bombs? perhaps?) and a cold air intake and other than that it's stock from what I know, but it's not the best of shape.

What's your input guys?
RobMinhas

Re: 94 Mazda MX - 3 GS vs 97 Honda Prelude TypeS

Post by RobMinhas »

With equal driving skill the Prelude will beat the GS, no doubt about it. The H22a in the Type S puts a considerably larger amount of power out then the K8.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

RobMinhas wrote:With equal driving skill the Prelude will beat the GS, no doubt about it. The H22a in the Type S puts a considerably larger amount of power out then the K8.
Lol, ya! 195hp....

Even my sister's H23 non-vtec was 160hp, glad I had the KLZE in my Mx-3, lol (but she was auto)

Unless he screws up in a big way, like tries racing you in reverse, he'll beat ya
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
RobMinhas wrote:With equal driving skill the Prelude will beat the GS, no doubt about it. The H22a in the Type S puts a considerably larger amount of power out then the K8.
Lol, ya! 195hp....

Even my sister's H23 non-vtec was 160hp, glad I had the KLZE in my Mx-3, lol (but she was auto)

Unless he screws up in a big way, like tries racing you in reverse, he'll beat ya
I've taken a Prelude in my RS because of terrible driving on his part as well as it was a short race, if he can't launch worth s--- and the race isn't longer then 1/2KM you could maybe take him, but really if it's a longer race he'll kill you, bad driver or not.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Dont race a 'lude, just dont. The stock k8 has nothing against any H badge until you rip it out and put something respectable in there. Heck even then your just on equal ground unless you get corners involved.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

don't race any one. You sound young and have little experience. That's how people get killed. Unless you're on the track, don't even talk about it here.

I know this is only a discussion, but I think we all know where this is going.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:don't race any one. You sound young and have little experience. That's how people get killed. Unless you're on the track, don't even talk about it here.

+1
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:don't race any one. You sound young and have little experience. That's how people get killed. Unless you're on the track, don't even talk about it here.

+1
+1

Only responsible racing is on the track.
iRobsta

Post by iRobsta »

Yes, you are correct, we are young. Both 19, and both driving our first standard cars.

I really do wish we had a track we could drag on. When we do "race" it's on the highway on a strip around where I live during hours like 11:00 pm - 2:00 am where there are literally 0 cars on the road. If we drive out far enough. We have plenty time to come to a full stop and take off.

From the sounds of all these talk, my car doesn't stand a chance. Even with a KLZE I'm only on equal grounds?
Let me get this straight, his H22A has roughly (lets just say for arguments sake) ~200 hp, and the KLZE (jap spec correct?) has ~200hp, and his car that weights 3000+ pounds and my car that weighs (with k8) 2580 pounds we'd only be on equal grounds? I'm not totally sure how much more the KLZE add's weight to the car but man, is v-tech all that amazing or something or what?

I'm not going to be doing this to my car as I'm to afraid of damaging my engine, but someone said I could get some ecu chip programmer that I can plug into my car's computer and just change settings in the stock ECU. The cost of such was given to me by a guy who did the same to his mustang, and the chip reprogrammer for that car cost him ~1200$. He believe that I could get 200 hp out of my car's engine. Wouldn't pushing the k8 that far cause some serious damage? Is it even possible?
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I was under the impression that a ZE could take a H22A in this instance but these guys who've posted about it are more knowledgable about tit then I so I'd take their word for it.

200hp out of a K8? If it could be done it would've been done on the forum, I think. I'm doubtful there is another 70 HP accessible in the K8, and if it did I don't think the internals could handle it.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

your talking about a cobb access port or bullydog or something like that. There is no free power out there. If you had a new turbo deeznutzle truck than it's an option. Not for us. Swaps, "NOSSSSS" or a turbo are the only real power adders out there.
iRobsta

Post by iRobsta »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:your talking about a cobb access port or bullydog or something like that. There is no free power out there. If you had a new turbo deeznutzle truck than it's an option. Not for us. Swaps, "NOSSSSS" or a turbo are the only real power adders out there.
Ah. Okay, guess then the chip idea is totally out of the question. A KLZE swap it is (:
How hard is a DIY swap for someone little to no car experience other than changing a caliper, oil and that's about it.
Oh, little to none "car specific" tools also.

I found a KLZE online for ~1 grand with approx 30 - 45k miles on it. My mechanic said he'd swap for 500 - 600$'s for me. What do you guys think?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

That would be a good deal, thought we seem to be finding them a lot in wreckers these days too, but for under like 200.00. If you cannot find a ZE to go with the 2.5 KLDE out of the MX6, 626, melenia, or ford probe. This would be a great increase as well.

I don't know about you guys but my ZE made a new GT feel like crap, as well as a little Porsche a couple weeks back. Actually the only thing I can officially say I have "lost" to would be a BMW M... the mx was sad after that encounter :cry: . I would say that the MX with a ZE swap and tuned up against a Prelude H22A the MX will take it. stock for stock not really a chance :(

200 would be reachable in the K8 boosted. If I can boost my 1.6 and get 232whp on 14psi then I think the K8 could get there with 10 to 12 lbs
iRobsta

Post by iRobsta »

Josh wrote:That would be a good deal, thought we seem to be finding them a lot in wreckers these days too, but for under like 200.00. If you cannot find a ZE to go with the 2.5 KLDE out of the MX6, 626, melenia, or ford probe. This would be a great increase as well.

I don't know about you guys but my ZE made a new GT feel like crap, as well as a little Porsche a couple weeks back. Actually the only thing I can officially say I have "lost" to would be a BMW M... the mx was sad after that encounter :cry: . I would say that the MX with a ZE swap and tuned up against a Prelude H22A the MX will take it. stock for stock not really a chance :(

200 would be reachable in the K8 boosted. If I can boost my 1.6 and get 232whp on 14psi then I think the K8 could get there with 10 to 12 lbs
What really? Stock vs stock you don't think it'll win?
A 3000+ lbs car with only 217 hp and 163 lbs - ft torque vs a ~2650 lbs car (with KLZE) that has 199 hp and 165 lbs - ft torque wouldn't be close? ):

On a side not, when they say "217 hp @ 7200 rpm and 163 lbs - ft @ 6500 rpm" what does that mean? Is having a higher RPM better or worse?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

What they mean is it makes its peek HP and or torque at that RPM. With the K8 you dont really stand much of a chance unless he is a really bad driver, with the ZE you should smoke him. the H22A is a sweet motor. If, you cut weight in the MX running the K8 and got it down to say 2200-2300 lbs that could shave a bit off, and if you added some headers/ exhaust, a nice cold air intake, along with taking the TB restrictor plate out you might give him a good run for his money, but he should still come out on top.

There is a guy here in my nexk of the woods that is running an MX-6 completely gutted and a pretty stock DE, but he has shaved his weight down to 2200lbs crazy low for an MX6. But it makes him quick as hell, its like an MX3 with a DE swap but handles a bit better due to the longer wheel base. If I were you I would start with a motor swap you wont be disappointed.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”