1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC Water Pump Replacement

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
romeroom
antispam: No

1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC Water Pump Replacement

Post by romeroom »

Just discovered the water pump is shot. I'm a fairly new owner a Mazda, especially this vehicle. I've done nearly all major repairs on my vehicles and will be doing the same with the MX-3.

While water pump removals tend to be a hassle, this one seems to be a greater hassle than I've experienced before. Manuals found online talk about timing belt removal. I've never touched a timing belt, so I'm a bit worried about dealing with this very important part.

So, I would greatly appreciate it if any of you could offer advice or point me to the right place where I can find helpful information on the replacement of the water pump. Thanks.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: 1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC Water Pump Replacement

Post by SuperK »

You can replace the water pump in the car by removing all of your accessory belts (power steering/alternator belts). Remove the valve cover, then remove the plastic timing belt cover as well.
You can mark both your belt and your camshaft gears with paint so you know how to line them up, so you don't get off time.

You'll want to mark the belt on the crankshaft pulley as well. if you're good, you won't move the bottom end, but this is probably inevitable if it's your first time.

unbolt the tensioner pulley and remove the belt, then you can remove the water pump and replace, then put it alllll back together again.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
romeroom
antispam: No

Post by romeroom »

SuperK wrote:...Remove the valve cover, then remove the plastic timing belt cover as well...
Is it necessary to remove the valve cover? I have not taken a detailed look, but it almost seems like the plastic timing belt cover can be removed independent of the valve cover.

Also, question: It would make sense to replace the timing belt with a new one, if necessary. Are there any clear signs that indicate it should be replaced?

Thanks.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the plastic timing cover has a lip that slips behindthe valve cover. You'll also need to remove it to retime the engine.
It's kinda a "you might as well do it while you're in there" moments with the timing belt. I mean, you don't want to get in that side of the engine again! You can get a timing belt kit that includes the tensioner and idler pully with the timing belt. I would recommend just going ahead and doing that.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
toomanyangelz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by toomanyangelz »

why would u need to remove the valve cover to retime the engine.........?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

in the B6 DOHC the valve cover is also part of the timing belt cover.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”