Cleanly tucked "invisible" gauges.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Cleanly tucked "invisible" gauges.

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm thinking gauges, multiple gauges actually, and I want them to be out of the way.

Any cop who pulls you over and sees 3 gauges on your A pillar will think one thing, and that thought won't help you avoid a ticket.

Where then, would an ideal location for gauges be? Obviously I need to see them, likely not 24/7. I like the idea of a sturdy metal box of sorts, with gauges covering the face, tucked into the glovebox until I need it.

My main problem with that approach is wiring it to withstand the actual motion of removal and replacement within the glovebox.

Maybe some semi-permanent gauges mounted in the glove box? I don't know yet.

What do you all think? Any well thought out suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

My eternal gratitude for anybody who offers me a feasible solution. :mrgreen:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Cleanly tucked "invisible" gauges.

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I put in a dual-gauge pod in my truck, I'm not worries about it however, heh.

I'm pretty sure, you can put 3 gauges side-by-side in one of the DIN slots, pending you want to sacrifice the one. I think you can put 2 in the ash tray. You can also mount and mold one or two on the top of the steering column cover.Seen people put shift lights in vents, I wanted to do that as well. One thing that I had in mind that I never got around to doing was gauge cluster pods that you can get for the Hondas:

That's all I got, heh.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I am also very interested in a solution.

My best idea so far is single gauge cups on a stand/swivel, so you could mount them down on the lower dash trim by your knees (but obviously out of the way)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

:freak: I guess I'm confused where this question comes from? As an expert on being pulled over, it doesn't matter if you have gauges or not and the mx-3 is so low that you don't even notice the 3 pillar gauge since most cops don't bend over that low. You're driving a modified (potentially loud) import that looks fast :shrug:

Sounds like root cause for you is to just not get pulled over? :roll:

Isn't the purpose of guages to tell you how your engine/car is performing at any given moment? Why would you hide these or put them in an obscure location that would be difficult to reference? Wouldn't you want gauges close to your line of sight without having to glance way to the right in the glovebox?

To answer your question, I think the best way to have invisible gauges is to run MS and have them all on the screen that you could instantly turn off.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

it's surprising to me that some of you guys get pulled over, cause i've was running my 3" exhaust and being lowered for like a year and was never even looked at by the police.
the only times i've been pulled over i knew i should be pulled over XD
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I just don't like pillar pods.

Especially because I want to run a vac gauge and I don't have boost.... then not only do I look like rice, I am rice.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

- Oil Pressure
- Vacuum/Boost
- Voltage (Right of the steering Column)

Nice thing about the pod is that it still had a spot for the OEM (or now my aftermarket) tweeter
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I'm pretty sure, you can put 3 gauges side-by-side in one of the DIN slots, pending you want to sacrifice the one.
That's all I got, heh.
This is what I've been thinking hardest about. Placement wise it is PERFECT for me, but I really use the tray often enough that I would miss it...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Image

- Oil Pressure
- Vacuum/Boost
- Voltage (Right of the steering Column)

Nice thing about the pod is that it still had a spot for the OEM (or now my aftermarket) tweeter
I really like the column pod, that's perfect placement! Clean and invisible to prying eyes...
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

If you are thinking about the glove box you could try using these gauge pods
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem? ... 1588352765
But mount it upside down inside the glove box so it doesn't mov and move wires around!!! It's just a thought for placement in the glove box! But the extra space under the stereo is also a good place!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Evo_Spec wrote:it's surprising to me that some of you guys get pulled over, cause i've was running my 3" exhaust and being lowered for like a year and was never even looked at by the police.
the only times i've been pulled over i knew i should be pulled over XD
I drive a loud, red car in a way over-policed city. :( I can't drive 5 blocks without seeing one, and there are multiple stations within a few city blocks downtown, many motorcycle cops that sit by various businesses, behind walls, literally hiding from traffic. One way streets + fund raising police = Beautiful system, for the public coffers that is. I watch police officers traveling ~40-50 in a 20 zone all the time. I've got a personal beef about them being "above the law", and I've had to watch it for too long sadly. I've been ticketed at "70" when going 60 in a 55. Thankfully the judge had a little more going on in his head than the deputy who cited me, he applauded my honesty and cut the ticket by a lot. Unfortunately enough police officers are pulled off the career track, that there are plenty of A-holes who like to exercise their limited power over the general populace. Sorry for the rant, touchy subject.
Mooneggs wrote::freak: I guess I'm confused where this question comes from? As an expert on being pulled over, it doesn't matter if you have gauges or not and the mx-3 is so low that you don't even notice the 3 pillar gauge since most cops don't bend over that low. You're driving a modified (potentially loud) import that looks fast :shrug:

Sounds like root cause for you is to just not get pulled over? :roll:

Isn't the purpose of guages to tell you how your engine/car is performing at any given moment? Why would you hide these or put them in an obscure location that would be difficult to reference? Wouldn't you want gauges close to your line of sight without having to glance way to the right in the glovebox?

To answer your question, I think the best way to have invisible gauges is to run MS and have them all on the screen that you could instantly turn off.
I'm a ticket magnet too, unfortunately... I've been pulled over just so an officer can give me the "you were driving suspiciously." line, to which I replied "I don't understand." and got the "I'll let you off with a warning, this time." BS in reply. It's a combination of boredom, control freaks being drawn to the job, and stereotypes attached to young drivers. 7 years on the road and I've been in one car accident, which was caused by mechanical failure. I've put over 300,000 miles on various cars in that time, and it means nothing to a cop who takes one look at me, assumes I'm a 17 year old kid, and pulls me over.

Anyways, back on topic... :lol:
If I placed them in the glovebox, they would not face the rear of the car... they would be angled towards me, where I can glance as I need to. I want the car to look as clean as it did the day it rolled off the lot. It's hard to do that with gauges visible everywhere... That's what appealed to me about the box idea.

You're right though, a laptop with MegaTune or similar running would be effective. I'm only wanting a few gauges hardwired in, A/F for example.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Tavman_1213 wrote:If you are thinking about the glove box you could try using these gauge pods
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem? ... 1588352765
But mount it upside down inside the glove box so it doesn't mov and move wires around!!! It's just a thought for placement in the glove box! But the extra space under the stereo is also a good place!
Not a bad idea, thank you for posting that. I think that placement won't be working out for me so well at this point. :(

I'll figure something out. I may do as Nd4Spd did in his Xterra, to the right of the wheel.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

The glove box works well eough. I am currently making my second FG mount for my brothers supra. He has the boost control, apexi sapc and boost guage. Keeps the car clean and easy to do.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Any chance you would be willing to post a few pictures, please? =)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

Swap in the JDM dash & replace the centre speaker with pop-up gauges (like GPS units that slide back into the dash)? We have a triangular speaker slot in the middle of the dash, and there's a bit of clearance under it for the speaker, etc. You might be able to get something to work there?
The way I see it working is that the passenger/rear side of the speaker grill would have a hidden hinge, and it would pop up from there. Keep the OEM speaker grill in there so it looks OEM/like its meant to be there when the gauges are down.
JDM dash is by far my favourite - it's clean, it looks modern, it's easy to use. It just works!
Anyway, I'm sure that this is too far-fetched as I know the JDM dashes aren't exactly common, (although, they are stock standard in Australia, I think) and a dash swap just for some hidden gauges is pretty major haha... Still, the JDM dash is the only one I know 100% well, so I can't really say anything about other dashes.

As for getting pulled over, surprisingly I haven't been pulled over once since buying this car, with loud exhaust, 17"s/low profile tyres, dark tinted windows, black lip kit, but I always got pulled over in my first car - a bog-standard 323 Astina Hardtop complete with rust & peeling paint. It was always just so they could search the car, check the engine bay for illegal mods, and breathalize/drug test me hahaha... Never had a speeding ticket...
Only other times I've been pulled over since buying my Eunos were in times that I've been driving Mum's Camry or dad's old Tribute, always for breathalisers/drug testing though haha... Strangely, I nearly never drive their cars, so I think it must be about 50% of times I've driven them that I've been pulled over hahaha
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke

Return to “Appearance”