Intermittent EGR CEL Code B6 DOHC???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
pauleatstoomuch

Intermittent EGR CEL Code B6 DOHC???

Post by pauleatstoomuch »

Hello all,

My car has been running great ever since I rebuilt it properly and had the ring issue fixed. However, almost every day the CEL will come on until I turn off the car, and the code refers to the EGR system. I don't know where to start looking to fix this issue. Can it be cleaned, or would it be a vaccum leak, or would it be the EGR valve itself needing to be replaced?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
'94 Mx-3 RS - All Black - Fully Rebuilt B6 DOHC .020 over, CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, SE Leather Seats, Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, JVC 6.5" in the doors, Rockford Fosgate 400W, 2 12" Dual Subs in Bandpass Box
Mi|<E

Re: Intermittent EGR CEL Code B6 DOHC???

Post by Mi|<E »

Usually carbon gums up the diaphragm in the EGR causing it
to stick open / not close properly. Its located at the back
of the engine, just trace the copper tube from the front intake
to the rear.

Two 12mm bolts to remove it IIRC and just spray it with brake cleaner.

Try that and see if it helps clear the CEL
pauleatstoomuch

Re: Intermittent EGR CEL Code B6 DOHC???

Post by pauleatstoomuch »

Cleaned it.. There was a ton of carbon buildup, so much that you could scrape it with a screwdriver. Cleaning did not fix it. I just bought and installed a brand new EGR valve and it seemed to run a bit smoother, then after about 30 mins, the code came back. What else should I check?

Thanks

PS, I get 30 mpg average city/hwy (under 60 mph). Seems like I should be getting better with the 1.6 DOHC

My friend's KLZE gets 30 mpg in the same driving conditions.
'94 Mx-3 RS - All Black - Fully Rebuilt B6 DOHC .020 over, CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, SE Leather Seats, Pioneer DEH-P4000UB, JVC 6.5" in the doors, Rockford Fosgate 400W, 2 12" Dual Subs in Bandpass Box

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”