J/E-Spec headlight install question

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

J/E-Spec headlight install question

Post by MrMazda92 »

Alright guys, I finally acquired some H4 capable housings, and am already springing for 100w bulbs(and all this entails).

My question, is how my fellow North Americans have wired their non A-Spec lights in? Custom one-off job? Similar pigtail from another model? I'm all about clean, so I'd prefer to avoid loose wiring in my bay.

Thanks!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
solo_ryder

Re: J/E-Spec headlight install question

Post by solo_ryder »

You need to get a H4 pigtail harness from a car parts store and rewire the 3 original wires to the 3 new wires. The High and Low are usually swapped around so look at some diagrams online to see which pinouts do what. If you have the oem harness from the headlights then you do the same thing... Hack the OEM wires before the OEM plug and then wire em straight to the new wires. I used butt connectors with electrical tape, but soldering is proly a good idea.

Also, HID kits work well in the EDM and JDM housings with adjustment, 100watters can sometimes burn out old wires, but you will proly be ok. HIDs usually run 35-55w
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thanks for the reply solo.
Do you happen to know a source for the rubber boot that surrounds the pigtail by any chance? I'd like to keep it as waterproof as it should be. :)

It will all be soldered into place, and I'll be using Sleeper6's writeup for the wiring upgrade.
Finally I'll be able to see at night. :D
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea when i upgraded to jspecs I was really happy, even with 70watters that I had in there, cutoff and distribution where alot better.

Im not sure what rubber you are talking about.. The headlights have caps on the back of the housings.. not sure where you can get some? Maybe off another car
jeffs93toy
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by jeffs93toy »

you could always use heat shrink tubing.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I assumed it was rubber, as my other vehicles with H4 bulbs have the harness shrouded and protected by a rubber boot. It could be plastic, but honestly I would be surprised.

There are caps, but I don't see how you would attach the harness around them. Actually, now that I take a closer look it makes more sense to me. :lol:

Upon looking at the housing after fresh rest, I noticed the notched sections. I can only assume that you feed the pigtail wiring in through these, and use the cap to cover the pigtail itself. It makes sense, I am surprised I didn't see it sooner.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea the wire goes around the circle there and the cap goes overtop
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thanks! :lol: I can't believe I didn't notice that before... Geeze.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”