Idle issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stangant
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Idle issues

Post by stangant »

When I first bought the car it idled a little high and then when down from say 1500 rpm to say 800 rpm's, now it stays at 12-1500 more often and has a strange sound idle but rpm's are not changing... Is this the IACV? If so how is the repair on this?
mitmaks

Re: Idle issues

Post by mitmaks »

could be a few things, vacuum leak, IAC valve, dirty throttle body, TPS sensor
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
stangant

Post by stangant »

I checked for the vacuum leak and didn't find anything. I took the intake off and it didn't look dirty. I will check on the TPS connection and the IACV.
davmac

Post by davmac »

So when "new" idle started at 1500 - 1800 when cold and eventually settled to 800 rpm?
Warm idle spec is a little lower, but if idle is steady then when you got the car I'd say it was set up Ok.

If the car is not idling high (not surging) then I would follow procedure to set idle as when doing tune up. Do check that it isn't something as silly as the throttle stop screw (at the linkage - follow the cable) holding the throttle open. Also confirm coolant is full. If coolant is low - or not flowing through the little hoses at the bottom of the throttle body (idle air control valve) you get continuous higher cold engine idle speed. Normally though if there is air in coolant system then the idle will slowly surge up and down.

Use online manuals to 1. set timing 2. set tps closed position 3. set idle speed. Instruction in section F2.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”