I constantly lose belts.

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Patass

I constantly lose belts.

Post by Patass »

We put them in, and they'll be ok for usually most of the day. Soon enough they'll start squealing, and a few days/weeks later I'll lose it. So far as we can tell it's going in right. It looks as though it's getting burned up or something but every time we check everything seems to be turning pretty freely. It's the alternator belt. Automatic 4 cyl. Any help is appreciated.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: I constantly lose belts.

Post by Ryan »

Try an OEM belt.

After that, try a new used alternator, or rebuild yours.

Could also try cleaning up grounds and terminals, its free and may help.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Usually tightening would help, since your belt stretches a bit once it's on there for a little bit-it'll need to be tightened. Also quality belt would help, I prefer Gates belts.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Do you have an incorrect pulley on one of your accessories? Check that the belt is riding true on all the pulleys, if one is out of alignment or if one has been damaged it'll shred a belt real quick.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Daninski wrote:Do you have an incorrect pulley on one of your accessories? Check that the belt is riding true on all the pulleys, if one is out of alignment or if one has been damaged it'll shred a belt real quick.
I'd go with this, I've seen people repeatedly throw belts on without checking the tensioners, and they'll slip halfway off a pulley, then bite the farm pretty quickly.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Interesting how issues tend to turn up in bunches like this. We were discussing this exact same issue with another newish member just the other day. I will tell you what I told him. Your problem will be cured immediately and completely by purchasing a factory alternator belt. Myself and many other members have had this very problem and for whatever reason, the factory belt works where others don't.

My wife is still scarred by the experience. Every time she hears a squeel of any kind she assumes the alternator belt is about to snap.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wytbishop wrote:Interesting how issues tend to turn up in bunches like this. We were discussing this exact same issue with another newish member just the other day. I will tell you what I told him. Your problem will be cured immediately and completely by purchasing a factory alternator belt. Myself and many other members have had this very problem and for whatever reason, the factory belt works where others don't.

My wife is still scarred by the experience. Every time she hears a squeel of any kind she assumes the alternator belt is about to snap.
Usually I'd listen to your advise but in this instance I'm not sure where your coming from? He should ignore common instigators. Pulley alignment is pretty important don't you think? :)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It's happened many times. It's a well known problem in the RS world. The solution is and has always been a factory belt.

I'm just sayin.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wytbishop wrote:It's happened many times. It's a well known problem in the RS world. The solution is and has always been a factory belt.

I'm just sayin.
Sir, I concede to your experience. New Belt it is. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I would do that first only because it's easy and everything else has the capacity to become a wild goose chase.

If a new belt didn't fix it then I'd start chasing waterfoul.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

wytbishop wrote:It's happened many times. It's a well known problem in the RS world. The solution is and has always been a factory belt.

I'm just sayin.
what is factory belt? Mazda makes their own belts?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think the stock belts are manufactured by Gates, but I'm not sure. I just know that I tried every style and make of belt in existance and as soon as I went and got one from the dealership my problem vanished completely and did not return and I am not the only one who has had that experience.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I know my p/s belt came off earlier this year and I've replaced it with Gates and so far so good
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I think as long as you get a Gates belt you should be fine. Yes they are a little more expensive but you don't want to lose a belt so it's well worth it IMO. I've used them and have never had any issues.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm running NAPA belts with no issues. :shrug: Do they have their own line, or is it re-packaged?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”