Hesitation / Bogging Problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

Hesitation / Bogging Problem

Post by Letters11 »

Hello everyone. 1995 4 cylinder manual trans. To make a long sotry sort, was driving fine and car died. Started up right away but with a few extra seconds of cranking. Parked it at work, came out at the end of the day and nothing, just cranking. Towed home and finally got it started from cranking it alot and recharging the battery in the mean time. Ran like crap. Would hesitate starting in every gear, barely driveable. Replaced the plugs and wires. plug1 and 4 had alot of oil in it. Now the car starts up fine and is definitely driveable if I ease on the gas early in the gears. If i push hard on the gas, it boggs until I let off to a "sweet spot." Took my car and rotor off my other 95 and it ran so much better with it but not 100%, still bogs in 2nd gear and when going to slow for the gear (But not like a normal bog when the rpms are too low for the gear youre in). Got code 4 which led me to believe that its something to do with the distributor?? I have no objection to buying a new one, just figured i would post to see what your thoughts were. Thanks to all!
Dark_Rider2k3

Re: Hesitation / Bogging Problem

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Distributors are a common problem. How are your spark plug wires?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Inspect/replace disty cap and rotor and spark plugs
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:Distributors are a common problem. How are your spark plug wires?
Spark plugs and wires are brand new, just replaced them a couple days ago when the problem started.
mitmaks wrote:Inspect/replace disty cap and rotor and spark plugs
The cap and rotor on one of my mx3's were replaced about 6 months ago so i know they are good. I switched them out for the ones on the mx3 that has the problem. It got substantially better with the new cap and rotor but the problem is still there. It still bogs but not as long and not as bad. Thanks
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

I found out that sometimes it would get spark and other times it wouldnt. I was told you replace the coil and go from there. All the coils I find are listed for the 1.8 except for one which lists both engines will work. Are the coils the same from the 1.8 and the 1.6?

This is one of the sites that list both engines

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/IgnitionCoil/M ... ontent=ECI
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I don't know if they are the same or not...I suspect not, but I wouldn't bother trying to replace the coil. It's inside the distributor making it a PITA to replace and with the small wires and soldering and so on I'd say there's a decent chance I would make a mistake and it wouldn't work.

I would a) get a junk yard distributor and try that first, then b) do the HEI mod or c) buy a new distributor.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Got a distributor and everything is back to working order..thanks for the help everyone!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”