Evo_Spec's 1992 MX-3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Evo_Spec's 1992 MX-3 GS

Post by Evo_Spec »

So this car has a story that i'll start from the beginning.
I was going to go down to calgary from edmonton because my girlfriend had a table for artist to sell her art, so i gave a call to my mom to let her know that we we're planning to go down for that weekend to so that my family could see my baby girl that they haven't been able to meet yet. When i called her she told me that she had a friend that had bought a car for her son a while back for $6500 and he stopped driving in after the first year because he got too many tickets and couldn't afford to drive anymore so he parked the car in their garage and never drove it since.

The only information we knew about the car is that it was a 1998 Nissan manual sports car, "awesome, maybe it's a 300ZX or something"
So when i got into town after a while of introducing my baby girl to the family my mom called her friend and she said it would be ok to head to her place and see the car, so we drove to her place and when we get there we talk a little bit about the car and i find out this car has been sitting in the garage for 8 years! since......2003!
she lead us straight to the garage and opened up the door, i was SUPER excited to find out what nissan it would be.
So the car inside was neither a 1998 nor it was a Nissan either, it was a 1992.........mazda.......teal green........6 cylinder...........mx-3! Now what are the chances of that! there's 1000's of cars it could of been and it ends up being an mx.
I was almost speechless and had no idea what to think but i was pretty happy and ended up just started laughing out loud since it was a very funny situation for me.

So on with the pictures and such!!!

This is the car where it sat for 8 years unused and unloved.
If you look close you can see the car bra that was on there before i took it off.

The previous owner smashed this side and that's probably when he stopped driving it, looks like he put bondo or something over the metal to stop rust or something.

This is how the engine looked before i started working on it

And the interior that needs some dusting and vacuuming.
what looks like an untouched seat.

128104 km's 8)

So i got to work on it and pumped up all the tires first because i figured after i was done everything if the tires still held air i wouldn't have any major leaks, which i didn't! yay!

So i drained the oil and i had some trouble finding the oil filter because i never worked on a V6 before XD
After i found it i couldn't get it off even after removing the splash guards and going from underneath so i just hammered a screw driver through and that sucker came right off with the extra leverage. There was a Mopar oil filter on there that was a little bigger than the Mobil 1 oil filter i got.
I added 1.5-2 tbsp of oil to each cylinder, it was kinda hard to judge how much went in with the funnel thing i made so i put more just in case, added the new oil and installed the new spark plugs, checked all the fluids making sure i won't need to fill anything up before i attempted to start this thing.
I put some Seafoam in the gas tank hoping to.....i dunno rejuvinate the gasoline in there on top of adding 5L of brand new gasoline, luckily there was little gasoline left in the tank saving me from having to siphon old gas.

After double, triple checking everything, i went to start it! (yes i'm super excited and my nick name is emo and i mention the speedo because my BP-T mx-3's speedo doesn't work XD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff3XbfUoBM

Finally sitting outside in the beautiful sun with a thick layer of dust protecting it from the UV rays xD
Those retarded blind spot mirrors are coming off, don't worry
If you look close you can see cat footsteps in the dust on the hood XD

I drove it home taking the back roads so that i didn't have to do any highway speeds and could choose what my rev's were, and it drove really well besides the CV's being mangled.
The V6's are quite different from the 4cyl's that i'm so used to, it also sounds super awesome.

Car wash!!! (it looks like clear peeling or something on the hood but it's not peeling or anything at all)

So my plans so far are to clean up the interior and change out the CV's (they're clicking like mad) and change out all the fluids and i'll see where i want to go from there.
Last edited by Evo_Spec on July 15th, 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Evo_Spec's Free 1992 MX-3 GS w/ 128km's

Post by Daninski »

Fantastic deal for sure. I thought I read this same post about 3-4 months ago??? So get that damn dent fixed and that front bumper and your good to go. Mileage is awesome as well. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Daninski wrote:Fantastic deal for sure. I thought I read this same post about 3-4 months ago??? So get that damn dent fixed and that front bumper and your good to go. Mileage is awesome as well. :D
yeah i had a post about it before i actually got it, i only picked it up yesterday
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok thanks for clearing that up, that deja vu s--- freaks me out. :|
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

Any updates on the freebie?! ;)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

well i'm parking it away in my garage for the winter but the driver CV is gone so i'll have to replace that along with the tires and couple of the rims but they're honey comb rims so i'll just be tossing them and replacing them with OEM 5 spokes.
other than that i haven't driven the car more but i've started everyday to make sure the seals are holding up and there's been no oil spots or anything on the garage floor.
ethand

Post by ethand »

nice... well, do keep us posted for when you do start doing stuff...
Seems so strange to me, parking a car away for the winter! If anything, in Australia, you'd park the car for Summer, as Summer is when the heat can get too much for an older car, especially... hahaha... the joys of never having snow!!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

So my set of spark plug wires from Project810 in New Zealand arrived about 3 weeks ago and i put them in the garage beside the GS and forgot about them.
Today i went to the garage to grab my tools to change the alternator belt in the Celica and saw the wires so i figured since i'm going to be doing car work anyways i'll throw in the cables while i'm here.

I forgot to take pictures of the old wires but they looked to be in pretty rough shape

although it's not MX3 related i figured you guys might like this, i drove with this belt like this knowingly for like 6 months XD

i also took off the stupid ugly blind spot mirrors like 3 months ago but forgot to mention anything XD
oh right, mirror...uhh i was moving the car so my bro could put his winter tires on his STI and well a mix of pure darkness, someone leaving their garbage pail out when they shouldn't, and my own stupidity, i reversed and broke the driver side mirror....
I'll go to the junkyard at some point and pick up a new one which shouldn't be too bad cause teal green MX3's are pretty common, but hopefully i can find one that matches the condition of the car
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

For a free working car you got a fricken awesome car!! I still have to come an see your BPT though haha
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Tavman_1213 wrote:For a free working car you got a fricken awesome car!! I still have to come an see your BPT though haha
yeah, for free its freakin great.

lol, its covered in a thick layer of dust from sitting outside on the street for like 6 months.
and it's really nothing to look at until i install a proper FMI or any intercooler for that matter, right now it's pushed up against the side of the engine bay not facing the air direction at all.
i also need a new clutch because this one's slipping like a mother, anything past 1 psi and it slips XD
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

I know of a place in town that has a act clutch kit for the f-series for cheap!!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Tavman_1213 wrote:I know of a place in town that has a act clutch kit for the f-series for cheap!!
you sir, have a pm
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So,,,which one is the wife getting????? :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Daninski wrote:So,,,which one is the wife getting????? :lol:
lol, this has actually been discussed.
she's getting this one, i keep my BP-T =D
IMACHU2

Post by IMACHU2 »

Like a barn find MX-3. Twenty hours with a hammer and dolly, and a skim coat of spreadable cheese product and it would look like new :love:
Dominic Toretto's whip is a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"
My work log http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72471

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”