V6 fuel mileage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Meanie

V6 fuel mileage

Post by Meanie »

I currently own a '93 4 cylinder which still obtains great gas mileage but body rust and a few other misc items are taking it's toll on the car. To repair everything, especially rust and painting, would reach $2000 or slightly exceed that amount. I'm current;y viewing another '93 MX3 in "BEAUTIFUL" condition with original everything, all power, no rust, low mileage, etc. but has the V6 engine. I want to stick with this car if possible because we all know it's fun to drive, handles well and of course, gets that great fuel mileage, at least with the 4 cylinder. Therefore, I ask those who have the V6, how well is your fuel mileage with this engine?

Any other major differences compared to the 4 cyl?

Thank you.
davmac

Re: V6 fuel mileage

Post by davmac »

The standard issue MX-3 RS is pure economy car in a pretty sporty looking package with average handling. The standard issue MX-3 GS increased performance including handling and gets good economy but not like the RS. Any V6 variant - standard K8, or KL will not get > 30 mpg. There might be a few exceptions, but I'm speaking generally.
Specifically I have a KLDE in mine and get average 27 mpg combined city/hwy - probably 60 - 70% hwy miles. I'm sure others will claim they have been able to squeeze more with standalone engine management and other mods - but those would be the exceptions. I might see 28 -29 mpg in a pure highway trip (flat roads and wind at my back) but doubt I'll ever see 30 mpg. Personally I'm happy with the compromise. Except for the faded red paint I love the way the car looks, it is quick and way above average handling. I say it is worth the extra $ for fuel. If you go from 30+ mpg to around 25 mpg would you still be happy?
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Buy the car, buy the car. :D Never had a problem with my GS fuel economy. Fill ups were inexpensive compared to my Mazda MPV and I never even considered gas when going on a road trip. Win win I'd say.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Meanie

Post by Meanie »

davmac wrote: If you go from 30+ mpg to around 25 mpg would you still be happy?
Being spoiled for 17 years with great fuel mileage from my 4 cylinder, I think I wouldn't be happy. I have reached 36 MPG at times while the average is about 30 - 32. Speed or quick take-offs aren't a major issue with me. Fuel mileage is.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

My 93gs 1.8 got 400-450km a tank, my current setup gets 200-220km per tank. Meh, I'm happy with it :)
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I've been getting 26mpg this year on my ZE and I'm sure it's not perfectly thuned. I was getting 30 on the K8 before the swap.

the few mpg you will lose are more than made up for in fun.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

24/30 for me with stock K8
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I float between 30 and 32 city with a stock K8, and my highway mileage reflects my spirited driving, so don't even ask about that one :lol:

My other car, got about 29 highway with 400+ pounds of cargo at California freeway speeds. ZE btw, not a K8.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

My advice, buy the super clean GS and cut out a bunch of weight. If you don't need it, don't keep it, that will boost your fuel economy, especially if you drive carefully already.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

MrMazda92 wrote:I float between 30 and 32 city with a stock K8, and my highway mileage reflects my spirited driving, so don't even ask about that one :lol:

My other car, got about 29 highway with 400+ pounds of cargo at California freeway speeds. ZE btw, not a K8.
I wonder how does one get 30 mpg with K8, I don't think they got that much brand new from factory.
I mean what do you do to have 30mpg with k8, pump tires up to 45psi, run premium, coast whenever possible??? :lol:

I only get 24 city and that's best it's gonna get and I do maintain my car religiously.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I never did anything special. And to be totally truthful I didn't keep a log back then, but I know that right now on the ZE I consistantly get 450km to a tank and before the swap I was getting in the neighborhood of 520km...which is really closer to 29mpg.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I also get a little over 400 to a tank. I have undersized tires. Driving habit doesn't seem to change it much.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:I wonder how does one get 30 mpg with K8, I don't think they got that much brand new from factory.
I mean what do you do to have 30mpg with k8, pump tires up to 45psi, run premium, coast whenever possible??? :lol:

I only get 24 city and that's best it's gonna get and I do maintain my car religiously.
I actually do run my tires at 45, I fill with Regular(88 octane at my closest Chevron), and the rest is up to me. I don't use my brakes while driving around town unless somebody does some thing stupid(cuts me off, non-signaled turns, etc), I coast shockingly often, and I know the timing on almost every light in my city that I pass regularly. I'm a delivery driver for a local company, and I drive on my own time for nothing but the pleasure. Basically, I know where I'm going, I'm never in a hurry(I plan ahead), and I treat the throttle like a chicken egg.

Like everyone else, my mileage changes dramatically when I want to go fast. Typically for me, that'll be country roads or the freeway, where it doesn't hurt economy so much anyways. If I'm starting and stopping often, there's no reason to floor it, at all.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 20th, 2011, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Meanie

Post by Meanie »

What's the difference between the K8 and the ZE?
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

I average 25-30mpg with my GS.. has over 260k on it.
Clean air filter and run synthetic.

k8 is the stock 130hp engine found in the GS you can swap this in for the KLZE which has 200hp and it's a jspec engine.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”