Is my head gasket blown?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greenstorm

Is my head gasket blown?

Post by greenstorm »

I took off my intake manifold to put on a millenia IM..... and two of the ports have a tiny bit of coolant on the vavles. The car has been sitting for a month.

Is my head gasket destroyed? Should I start crying?
what kind of car IS that?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Is my head gasket blown?

Post by Daninski »

Oh ya, cry a river and then some. I'm in the same boat and plan to do an engine swap instead of replacing head gaskets. F--- that sh_t.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Coolant.... on the valves.

How in the H does that happen?

I can't even imagine. Seriously. Some cars have coolant flowing through the manifold, we do not.

I know if you port out the exhaust side, you can accidentally experiment with water injection on the exhaust side.

Did you spill it down there?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

its possible I spilled it because i did disconnect some coolant lines, but there aren't any signs of spillage, and its in very opposite ports.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Even if your headgasket was leaking, thats BELOW the valves, you'd have coolant in the cylinders.

Is it a lot? A little? might be a cracked head, but you should be able to see that.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

Both heads would have to be cracked, they are in

XXC
CXX (c=coolant, x=dry)

I'll look at it again tomorrow. It's very weird for it to be up there. I could just be dirty water too, its been super humid out and it's been sitting for a month.

Its verrry suspicious :|
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That is so messed. I don't know what to tell you. Check down the plug holes, is there any down there?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

my k8ze also had the same issue when i took off the IM small amount on top of the valve but my car doesnt over head but does use a small amount of antifreez so i have to refill it every month like 1 qrt or so but runs good and doesnt get hot or act differnt and my car doesnt smoke either . been like this for more than a year :shrug:
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

It probably dripped out of the IM. I know that when I recently pulled my Milli IM, I ended up leaking coolant all over the place, even a week+ after it was out of the car. It will leak more than you'd think it should, so I'd put my money on a simply drip issue. Smell the fluid too, as you likely know it will be a simple test.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Coolant flows through the throttle body, I don't know what the odds of that leaking are...
Cody
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

tehbrookzorz wrote:Coolant flows through the throttle body, I don't know what the odds of that leaking are...
Not that slim, and I meant TB, not IM :lol: I need to drop the late night browsing... It's 6 am now, and I just pulled a homework allnighter... 3rd one in a row. :(
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok this is too weird, better call William Shatner. :lol:
Anyway when I start my Probe with the coolant cap off there's bubbles in the water. I know my head gasket is blown. Bubbles shouldn't be in the coolant besides the fact that my coolant disappears.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

ive taken mine off and coolant goes everywhere im almost 100% certain that its just spilled there...
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you decide to do your head gaskets make sure you get the heads checked for true and checked for cracks.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Daninski wrote:Ok this is too weird, better call William Shatner. :lol:
Anyway when I start my Probe with the coolant cap off there's bubbles in the water. I know my head gasket is blown. Bubbles shouldn't be in the coolant besides the fact that my coolant disappears.
That could simply mean that you have a leak somewhere and your overflow tank is empty. When the engine cools and the coolant recedes it's sucking air into the system from the overflow tube. Then next start up bubbles are present.

This is not evidence of a blown head gasket.

to the OP... this is almost certainly just spillage. Removing the IM is a messy business.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”