V.R.I.S big debate from friend

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
whitete
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

V.R.I.S big debate from friend

Post by whitete »

Okay so heres the topic starter. .. I have been browsing around all the fourms for this topic/debate.

question i was given about 7 months ago from a friend, after he came with me for a drive in our mx3.. It was daninskis old 96 red KLZE sold to troy, and sold to us

he asked knowing the vris points and when they open.. With msd window switches would it be best fun factor/effect of it making both vris points to open say at 4300 rpm? ? Or have both open earlier? ?
or have both open later in ths power band. ..

Dont get me wrong though the ZE's performance as is, is great but never do we notice the first vris #1 open but because my ZE is h/i/e cat delete i do hear the difference under load around 4150 rpm wot.

Just asking everyones opionions here no vtec debates lol i bet thats coming to mind. And i dont have the window switches either hence me asking after 7 months searching these answers im looking for thanks.
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
wytbishop

Re: V.R.I.S big debate from friend

Post by wytbishop »

If you're serching for the best "punch" from the opening of the VRIS valves, I doubt that opening them both at the same RPM would cause the desired effect.

If you had the MSD window switches you could easily just do some testing to see. I have never heard of anyone doing any sort of organized experimentation with them.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
whitete

Post by whitete »

Thats exactly what i was thinking too. Wouldnt be that big of a deal opening at the same time but i figured wed loose a bit of low end tq and hp but give more of a feel of more power up top. ..

Thanks for the quick reply i hope alot of people post what they think aswell!

I know this topic doesnt come up basicaly at all just the proper way vris was designed and proper points it should be set to i just went for a drive with vris1 tied closed and vris 2 opened at proper time it was noticable that #1was not opened and tq off the line daily driving was a bit lower around 2500 and up to 4100 it felt weaker to being #1 was closed i figure. .

just a bit of testing amature style since now that ive posted the topic i feel like i must do something to enlighten everyone on a physical level as well
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .

Previous rides
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
whitete

Post by whitete »

Thanks wytbishop for your input, well valued information from you all across the board theres not one topic i dont think you have provided excelent information :)

Previous rides
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Look at the graph on this page

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-105.gif

They did the 4 pulls and examined the torque curves, and already picked the best combo for you. Don't mess with it.

Since you probably messed with the intake from stock (CAI, phenos, unmatch head/ports) You could re-do these pulls (both closed, one open, other open, both open) and pick your unique points.

That would be the REAL way to do it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
whitete

Post by whitete »

Thx Ryan! Good info there ive been through the manual and never saw that before! Nice

Previous rides
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I have nothing to add here, as I am a 4cyl guy. I just wanted to say, over all the posts I have read... I don't think I have seen any one post a double neg' comment before.

My best guess would be:
Mazda dropped plenty of $ on engineers to get the variable res' accurate enough to add the right ammount of tq at just the right time. Any variance in the intake chamber can cause many issues. Tq and hp are factors of runner lenth and air velocity. This is one item best left as the pros set it. I'd leave it alone unless you are tuning it on a dyno. You would get more results working on the air fuel ratio.
whitete

Post by whitete »

ill stop making posts then based upon ur comment im in no way a NooB to mx3s 4th one 93,95,94,96 current. but new to posting on this site i read new comments and posts daily almost religiously and that is over 3 years ago thats weak to mention. . He was just looking to see if anyone running windows switches has tried both VRIS running open together same time around 4200 rpm open till 7000 rpm would make a more in the pants VRIS feel. . No more no less he has DE mx-6 on mx-6.com. .... Double negitive comment. . I feel double positive comments are around the corner.. What goes around comes around. .I love this site and the car i drive

thanks

Previous rides
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I loved the comment. Sorry if it came out wrong. Never stop what ever it is you do.

I really did enjoy it. I am an A-hole most of the time, but I did not (even in the slightest) try to come down on you.
whitete

Post by whitete »

My bad RS .. Late night i guess. . Thanks. .

Other then that ive seen ur comments etc. U have good info too 4 cyl or not thanksRS
Mabey i took it wrong too. . Gnight

Previous rides
whitete

Post by whitete »

And RS mazda definitly did alot of work and research for vris.. Questions keep the world goin round though thats my outlook anyway. . Good point

Previous rides
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good ideas, and definitely worth looking into. I'd follow Ryan's suggestion, especially AFTER you've done a bunch of other mods. I'll be doing exactly as he stated, except with Megasquirt, and not switches.

Btw, the "double negative" can be better explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative

No offense meant, but you should have considered what he said a little more carefully before getting defensive... He really wasn't being unpleasant.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 3rd, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
whitete

Post by whitete »

Agread mr mazda. .

Previous rides
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I came across a little brashly in my own reply, and I feel bad... I wasn't trying to be judgemental.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
whitete

Post by whitete »

Its all good mr mazda :) thanks. No worries

Previous rides

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”