front tires locked up

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rodnet

front tires locked up

Post by rodnet »

Hi all tuseday i decided to drive my mx3 off a large embankment, a 60 foot drop followed by a draining ditch. surprisingly i didn't roll the thing anyway the body is mostly undamaged except for the passenger door clips the finder wall when i open and close it. all four rims got bent and now the car wont drive :(. it still starts but when i put it into gear the tires don't move i can actually put it in gear and the wont die it will just bog down a bit. apparently the the tires are locked up as when the toe truck driver tried to drop it off he had it slide it off. i have yet to jack it up and take a look at it. i love my mx3 and am prepared to swap the trans-axle or whatever if nessary. was wondering if you guys had any ideas where to start. its a 1.6l manual 95 with 200k miles
thanks rodney
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: front tires locked up

Post by Ryan »

Um, your frame is probably bent.

But you must have destroyed every part of your suspension, destroyed your axles, or punched your differental together with the axles.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

First off, are you ok? You can always fix your car I just hope your ok.

Aside from that Ild jack it up and take a look underneath and see if the transaxle is cracked, otherwise the driver may have broken a gear internally wrenching it up 60ft stuck in gear. Easy way out, maybe just a trans swap, or you may need a lower cradle and some suspension bits but hey these cars are tuff. I wrapped my first around a pole and it was really only cosmetic damage and maybe an 1/8" dimple in the lower body frame yet still drove straight.

Best of luck and post some pics!
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
rodnet

Post by rodnet »

ok first off thanks for your concern Sleeper6 i was a little messed up but a few days rest and some muscle relaxers helped out alot. now as for the car it turns out it was the back tier that was locked up due to the rim being bent. the only other damage is the is a control arm got bent
after switching out the back tire i was able to get it to drive but the clutch seems to not be engaging fully as i can put it in gear release the clutch and it wont die but if i rev the engine a lot it does start moving.
so i wondering if the clutch cable is loose or the hydraulics are messed up for it.
here is a pic of the bent tire i had to put it on backward so it would not catch
and here is a pic of the other control arm which seems to be fine
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Yikes.

Time for a new CV boot too.

It'll take you a long time to find all the issues... I bet you'll never be able to get a proper alignment again.

If I were you, I'd swap it all out from a car that didn't experience what yours just did.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

That arm is toast.