My beloved Hankook K106s

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

My beloved Hankook K106s

Post by MrMazda92 »

Are finally going bye bye.

I lost one this morning on the way to work, and they're bare enough that it's not worth repairing.

Sadly, Hankook K106s are discontinued!

Basically, this is one of those "AAAAAHH help me pick tires y0!" Threads.

I asked this a while back for summer tires, but I'm currently looking for some all season radials. Longevity and Traction(WET) are my primary focuses. The car's so damn loud that roadnoise isn't even close to important at the moment.

I'm running on a donut at the moment, so expedient replies are greatly appreciated!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Savin

Re: My beloved Hankook K106s

Post by Savin »

I've got no complaints with my Bridgestone weatherforce tires. They do pretty dang decent in snow/slushy stuff for being all seasons. Never got stuck. Rain- I haven't hydroplaned into a ditch yet, so OK there. Supposedly good for 65k miles too.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Do NOT buy BF Goodrich G-force sports, terrible in wet. Hydroplaned into a ditch. Excellent in the dry though.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'm running Goodyear Assurance (tripletreads) on my MX6 and I have to say, they're the bomb (can I say that, the bomb?) Anyway others have commented on them as well in other posts, all positive. They perform real well in slush and rain and of course on dry pavement as well.
And there's this, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres ... rtValue=15
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not sure if they have the longevity you're looking or, but I really liked my Kumho Mx's enough to buy a second set
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've actually been looking at the Kumho Ecsta ASXs for a while today, they have great feedback... anybody here used them?

Bear in mind please, these are to be winter/all season tires, of course =p I won't waste a penny on Summers until I get my RPF1s.

I appreciate all the replies! It helps a lot.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Had a spare ASX that I was considering using by buying 3 more, tread seems abit conventional so should last abit longer and seems like it would be good in the rain. I think it would be safe to go with those.

Falken 912's arent a bad all round tire either.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Like an idiot, I forgot to add something. I'm looking for stock GS size tires, so 205/55/15s. There was ONE type of tire at ONE store locally... I wasn't going to pay $128/e before mounting, balancing, etc. for a tire I know nothing about. The donut appeals to me more than that... Although keeping under 50 MPH is slowly killing my soul.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

solo_ryder wrote:Had a spare ASX that I was considering using by buying 3 more, tread seems abit conventional so should last abit longer and seems like it would be good in the rain. I think it would be safe to go with those.

Falken 912's arent a bad all round tire either.
Thank you Solo! Have you driven with it(them) by any chance? If it can equal or best my Hankooks I'll be beyond pleased... I had to work HAAAARD to chirp those on a tight corner, and my confidence in the wet was amazing. If I don't like the tires I buy this time around, I'll probably buy 8 K106s to last me a while. Hah.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I don't know which size tires you're using, or how much you want to spend, but, as far as my personal experience goes, nothing beats Michelin, and, for a comparable UTQG to your Hankooks, I'd suggest these ones:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selecto ... re-details
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Those have some good reviews on that site, but they're out of my price range at the moment... What with next week's purchase, I'm not exactly rolling in money atm :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Inodoro Pereyra

Yeah, I just figured that.

Anyway, a guy can dream...can't he? 8)

Diogenes of Sinope.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have driven on falken 512's which is the preceding model to the 912's. The 512's were a good all round tire but abit more on the sporty side. The 912 is a perfect mix of sport and daily commuter I think. The tread is not too super aggressive, but works well for spirited driving.

Your options in the stock tire size are kind of limited.. I would go for whatever tire you can get that is in a good price range and that is made in Korea, Japan, France or USA.. I am not sure if General exclaim UHP is made in that size, but I have always been a fan of those tires. Try to stay away from chinese tires that use old technology, tread patterns and hard compounds that tend to slip out and be skiddish in the rain.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:I don't know which size tires you're using, or how much you want to spend, but, as far as my personal experience goes, nothing beats Michelin, and, for a comparable UTQG to your Hankooks, I'd suggest these ones:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selecto ... re-details
It doesn't make sence that some can be favorable to a manufacturer for tires. There's so many different types and situations, different compound and tread patterns, and so much competition, I can't see how someone would be biased over an entire manufacturer's lines of tires. By chance, both the car and the truck are running Goodyear (Dunlop) tires, but I choose them for that they were. I honestly didnt' even know Dunlop was Goodyear until afterwards.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Inodoro Pereyra

Nd4SpdSe wrote: It doesn't make sence that some can be favorable to a manufacturer for tires. There's so many different types and situations, different compound and tread patterns, and so much competition, I can't see how someone would be biased over an entire manufacturer's lines of tires. By chance, both the car and the truck are running Goodyear (Dunlop) tires, but I choose them for that they were. I honestly didnt' even know Dunlop was Goodyear until afterwards.
Well, different things make senSe to different people. For example, to me, it doesn't make sense that somebody with enough knowledge to type a reply, wouldn't have the brain to previously READ what he's replying to:
Inodoro Pereyra wrote:... as far as my personal experience goes, nothing beats Michelin...
And yes, over 3 decades of driving, and with many "different types and situations, different compound and tread patterns" under my belt, I have found Michelins to be far superior to their competition, especially on a wet surface.

And, finally, it doesn't make sense to me how somebody can claim being favorable to a manufacturer "doesn't make sence", and, just a few lines later, state he's partial to another manufacturer. But then again, I guess stating that you "chose them for what they were" makes all the difference. Or was it because you didn't know who made them? :roll:

But then again, we both know the real reason you posted was not because something "doesn't make sense" to you, but just because you want to, once again, derail a thread that was doing perfectly fine without your "contribution", so try this on, and see if it makes sense to you: whatever drivel you post here from now on, I won't waste a second of my time on it. I already know the OP agrees with me on the Michelins. I couldn't care less what you think.

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”