headlights??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
blandest000

headlights??

Post by blandest000 »

I just got a mx-3 today, and it looks great, inside and out. The only thing that bugs me is the old headlights... the plastic turned hazy and yellow. I've been looking around at autozone, jcwhitney, and places linked from this website, but no one has replacements, except the mazda dealer.. and they want $300 for them. anyone know where i can get some?
blandest000

Re: headlights??

Post by blandest000 »

BTW, i dont know if it matters, but its a 1994 [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
renef

Post by renef »

I assume that the Mazda dealer wants 300 for EACH headlight?<P>If so, make sure that they are the glass ones. <P>If money is an issue, do what most of us do: <BR>Buy some Blue Magic and clean the lenses yourself.<P>It makes a hell of a difference. Really. Use a soft cloth like an old t-shirt for best results.<P>best 6 bucks you'll ever spend.
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

Mine were the same way and a buddy used a buffer and some rubbing compound and took them up to new!<P>I thought mine was on the ouside but they look like new now! [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
Alt-Tab

Post by Alt-Tab »

I think Corksport sells them for $180 each...call them and ask.<P>Brand new headlights will absolutely thrill you, but for me it just made it extra frustrating when I had my wreck. :(
Taylor<P>1995 Chevy C1500 Dark Blue<BR>* 305 (5.0L V8)<BR>* Hypertech Performance chip<BR>* Dynomax dual exhaust<P>SOLD: 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport - Flame Red<BR>* 3.9L V6 - 175 hp<BR>* Flowmaster dual exhaust<P>I Miss my MX-3:<BR>1992 MX-3 GS Blaze Red
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

I just wanted to add that SCRATCH OUT by Kit works well too! Yellow bottle next to rubbing compound in stores. Just make sure that whatever you use is safe for plastics. Some products use petroleum distilates (?spelling) and will cloud the plastic making it worse than before and PERMANENT! Must use it every few months, but the difference is like night and day(pun intended! ;) ) Good luck!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by renef:<BR><STRONG>I assume that the Mazda dealer wants 300 for EACH headlight?<P>If so, make sure that they are the glass ones. <P>If money is an issue, do what most of us do: <BR>Buy some Blue Magic and clean the lenses yourself.<P>It makes a hell of a difference. Really. Use a soft cloth like an old t-shirt for best results.<P>best 6 bucks you'll ever spend.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They don't sell Glass replacements in the US. We have to have them imported and it will be a hell of alot more money than $300/headlight.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
blandest000

Post by blandest000 »

Well, I went back to the lot I got it from and he buffed the haze right off of it... and the car look a lot better. Saved me $300
ogtff

Post by ogtff »

you can use 2000 grit wet-dry sand paper then buff it out
Brandy92 MX-3

Post by Brandy92 MX-3 »

hey,<P>just wanted to say that my husband used polishing compound on my headlights and now they are so clear.<P>Brandy :D
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

Meguiar's Cleaner wax works wonders as well. It's been more than 2 months since I've been able to wax my car period, and my headlights are still fairly clear. <P>Meguiar's wax is most likely the best stuff you'll use.
david103

Post by david103 »

i used a polishing compound on my headlights and a lot of the haze went away, but the inside is still nasty. is there an easy way to remove the cover, clean it, and put it back on without ruining something?<P>dave
Shoalinfist

Post by Shoalinfist »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blandest000:<BR><STRONG>I just got a mx-3 today, and it looks great, inside and out. The only thing that bugs me is the old headlights... the plastic turned hazy and yellow. I've been looking around at autozone, jcwhitney, and places linked from this website, but no one has replacements, except the mazda dealer.. and they want $300 for them. anyone know where i can get some?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I found it alot cheaper to go to a junk yard and pick up stuff. Sometimes it's hard to find the item in good shape, but when you do you can get it for the lowest price you can imagine<P> [img]null[/img]

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”