Help! my MT trans is stuck! Hurry!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greenstorm

Help! my MT trans is stuck! Hurry!

Post by greenstorm »

Hey all, I'm doing a clutch job and I cant get the transmission fully off. It's about 3/4 an inch off the engine held up by a jack and all it wants to do is spin, it wont come off. Did I miss something? I'm pulling pretty hard.... reamed on it with a few different pry bars. Any advice? I haven't taken off a tranny in like 5 years, so....

thanks for the help! please hurry!

ps: sorry for the double post, i really just need help ASAP!
what kind of car IS that?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Help! my MT trans is stuck! Hurry!

Post by Daninski »

Can you move the clutch lever to release the load on the clutch and free the shaft.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

it just moves back and forth willy nilly. I;ll wiggle it a bit and see if that helps
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

it doesnt even feel like its attached to anything. I can almost pull it out. was that the problem? I can't disengage the clutch?
davmac

Post by davmac »

No - all clutch components (disk, pressure plate, flywheel) stay attached to the engine. Assuming no wires remain connected or bolts (check again) then you are binding the input shaft of the transmission on the clutch disk. Also – you have removed both axles from the transmission, right?

I haven't personally replaced an MX3 clutch, but on other cars that I have done you need to support the engine independently. I always liked to support the engine from above and then used a jack to which I attached a wood platform and strap to support and hold the transmission when removing and installing it. I always had best luck lining things up if the engine was allowed to tip slightly down toward the transmission side.

Double check everything to be sure there is no bracket or wire that might span engine to transmission. This should not be that hard to remove so don’t force it. Reinstalling was always the tricky part. Try with the engine tilted slightly like I suggested when you reinstall.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I got it! I lifted the engine up a little bit more and it slid right off. Thanks all! Hope I didn't ruin anything :(
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Isn't it great when a plan comes together. :D I'm sure your trans is just fine, they're tough.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

unfortunately I snapped two bolts off during the whole process

:-|

*cries
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Would those be the ones that were keeping it from coming off?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

wytbishop wrote:Would those be the ones that were keeping it from coming off?
Cold, but it made me grin :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

lol no, I did that before.
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

So, one of the bolts that snapped coming off was a front crossmember bolt. This is the crossmember that the engine/tranny mounts sit on. There's only two bolts per side, so I don't feel safe with only one. I only have hand tools, how do I fix this?

The bolt head is sheared off. I don't know what to do.

Really, Mazda? 2 bolts per side for the piece of metal that holds up the majority of the engine/transmission weight?

Do you think it would be safe to put it back together with the one bolt and drive it the half mile to a mechanic?

Should I stuff a rag in my gas tank and explode this piece of *** excuse for a car?

So mad.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

greenstorm wrote:So, one of the bolts that snapped coming off was a front crossmember bolt. This is the crossmember that the engine/tranny mounts sit on. There's only two bolts per side, so I don't feel safe with only one. I only have hand tools, how do I fix this?

The bolt head is sheared off. I don't know what to do.

Really, Mazda? 2 bolts per side for the piece of metal that holds up the majority of the engine/transmission weight?

Do you think it would be safe to put it back together with the one bolt and drive it the half mile to a mechanic?

Should I stuff a rag in my gas tank and explode this piece of *** excuse for a car?

So mad.
Take a drill with a bit head smaller than the bolt diameter... Drill directly into the center, and then gently remove the excess material and use a tap and die set to re-thread the hole. Buy a replacement bolt, and re-install.

If you blew an MX-3 up like that, I(and many others I imagine) would probably hunt you down. :evil:

That being said, setbacks are setbacks... We all face them. How you recover, and move on is what determines how far your success can carry you.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I've been driving my car daily for almost two years with the same broken bolt as you. It's actually a stud that is welded to the subframe so to repair it you would have to use a small cutoff wheel to cut the stud of and weld in a new one. Not a super easy job...which is why I've been neglecting it.

Ideal?...no. Dangerous?...no.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I guess I misunderstood what broke :shrug:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”