Forum cleanup suggestion

This forum is for your (the user and visitors of MX-3.com) opinion, recommendations and issues about MX-3.com.
Inodoro Pereyra

Forum cleanup suggestion

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, I've seen on another thread that Mnemonic called for suggestions to help them clean the forum up a bit, so here's one. This idea is not actually mine, but it's something I've seen on another forum I'm a member of.
On that forum, there's a section that's OP moderated.
That means, when somebody opens a thread, he will see an "edit/delete" button on any reply to that thread, he can use to keep his thread clean.

I don't know if the phpbb3 software allows for the use of that feature, but if it does, I think it'd be a pretty effective way to get rid of all the BS... :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Forum cleanup suggestion

Post by Ryan »

We'd see a lot of empty threads....

Maybe I'm just an a--hole, but I think a lot of people we get on here (the ones who can't construct a proper sentence) won't have the aptitude to moderate their own thread.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Empty threads can be removed. I don't really get the attitude that people can't take care of their own threads. Maybe I have more faith in the community?

The concept seems okay to me. I'd be a bit upset if something I put a lot of thought into got deleted, but usually the stuff I respond to wouldn't end up that way anyway.
Cody
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan wrote:We'd see a lot of empty threads....

Maybe I'm just an a--hole, but I think a lot of people we get on here (the ones who can't construct a proper sentence) won't have the aptitude to moderate their own thread.
Maybe we would, in the beginning. Just until the people who has nothing better to do than to post insults realized they're not welcome.

It al depends on how you take it. If you reply to somebody's thread, and your reply gets deleted (for whatever reason), you at least know your input is not appreciated, and can move on. I found myself, recently, posting several replies to a thread, in direct answer to the OP's questions, just to be told (by the a-hole OP) I hadn't helped at all. I find that very frustrating. At least, if he had deleted my first post, I would've known who I was dealing with, before wasting more of my time on him.

And no, you're not an a-hole. :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I agree with the idea, especially that the OP moderated threads have their own section. I also think that the worklog section should be this way without a doubt. It's hard to keep an organized work log with how the replies stack up, especially on some of the more high profile builds. Editing the original post looks decent, but it makes it hard to answer questions for people who are curious about certain aspects of a build.

Some people would have trouble with the idea, and that's precisely why it shouldn't be the only method of moderation we have. A separate section(or a few of them) wouldn't cause too much trouble, and it could be reversed if it did somehow.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I think this is a great idea in the WL section for sure! Have seen a couple WL's get high jacked recently. But as far as the rest of the forum though, I don't know if its really that beneficial. BECAUSE some times even though someone may not want ones input, its a public forum and even though someone may be right and another wrong or both right or both wrong, it sparks some very interesting conversations and debates. Which usually end up with a good outcome :) And I think that, that is what the forum is all about, sharing thoughts and ideas.

If you made it to where someone could just delete others posts in their topic, someone could always come in later with the same question or thought that had gotten deleted and wouldn't know that question or comment was asked, and it would start again.

I guess if you were able to make it an option when creating a new topic, I could see this working.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya I'm guilty of contaminating WL threads but in saying that I also deleted my own posts and usually ended up PMing the Poster. Anyway I can see it now, create a thread just to bait someone and when they post in your thread you delete them. I like it. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I just want the spam to get cleaned up.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Ryan wrote:I found myself, recently, posting several replies to a thread, in direct answer to the OP's questions, just to be told (by the a-hole OP) I hadn't helped at all. I find that very frustrating. At least, if he had deleted my first post, I would've known who I was dealing with, before wasting more of my time on him.

And no, you're not an a-hole. :lol:
If its any consolation, I enjoy reading your responses when I come across your posts, and in cases like you mentioned I get an alert to who the a-holes are when I see them ignore solid advise.
Cody
stangant

Post by stangant »

I have always wished this to be on all forums. I get responses on some forums from someone that is just their to troll or insult and I can't delete, drives me nuts. On my build thread for my stang I had people fill the thread with useless garbage like "you will never finish" etc etc.. So yea I would like to see a trial run of this idea at least.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I agree with Ryan and I would only want to allow a certain group of the members to moderate their own thread (like the Senior Members). The only section I see this applying to would be the Worklogs section. Barry and Jeff do all the administration so I'm not sure on what the capabilities are of the forum...

You always have the option to PM one of the moderators if you have a thread/worklog that you want cleaned up. I think Ryan and I are the most active so feel free to PM us if you need "clean up on aisle..." :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Has the idea of invite only been considered? Perhaps a certain email can be set up for taking external requests? I don't know if it's possible to do this while keeping the forum read only but if we can it'd work pretty good I think.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RobMinhas wrote:Has the idea of invite only been considered? Perhaps a certain email can be set up for taking external requests? I don't know if it's possible to do this while keeping the forum read only but if we can it'd work pretty good I think.

This could slow the influx of new members... This board can't afford that, especially this late in the game. :(

On the point of self moderated worklogs, I'm 100% for it!!!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Email approval of new members wouldn't be difficult, there aren't so many requests that between the mods/admins they couldn't all get approval within a day.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've been distributing fliers, when I see a CLEAN MX-3... :lol: Windshield wipers hold them, but the rainy season makes this stupid...
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “MX-3.com Site and Forum Recommendations and Issues”