MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

Post by MrMazda92 »

:lol: This project started in 2009.
The first post is just a mod list, past and planned.

Color Key: Owned/Done, Planned

Exterior:
Chalkboard Black Paint
J-Spec Headlights
- Painted Housings
- Upgraded wiring / Bulbs
Clear Signals
Clear Markers

Interior:
Protege Steering Wheel - Black/Black
PaceSetter Adjustable ShortThrow
CS Bronzoil Shifter Bushings
McMaster-Carr 3rd Link
FowlJesse Drilled Shiftknob
E-Spec Vents
Manual Belt Conversion
Dark Tint

Audio:
Alpine CDA-9884
Front: Alpine Coax.
Rear: None
Sub: 12" JBL - Slot ported

Engine:
Milli KL
- 65mm Throttlebody
- KL31 Intake
- Knife Edged
- Ported Plenum Neck to match TB
- Radiused/Polished Plenum Neck
- Outlaw Thermospacers
- KL31 Heads
- KL01 Cams
Powersteering Delete
Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley
Short-tube Headers
Filled Motor Mounts
2.5" Exhaust

KLG4 - In Progress - The Money Pit...
- .04" Overbore, aka 2.6L
- G4 Crank
- Forged Pistons(10.2:1 CR)
- Colt 210/218 Cams

Electrical:
Stratified PnP MegaSquirt
VAF delete
Coilpacks
Beefy Plug Wires
Groundwires

Engine Bay Cleanup:
Black ValveCovers/Fuel Rails w/ Polished Lettering
Hammered Black/Silver Intake Manifold
Polished Intake Piping w/ Black Silicone and T bars
Wiper Fluid Delete
A/C Delete
Tucked Burp Tank
Wiretuck

Suspension:
GC Coilover Sleeves + Tender Springs
KYB Excel-G Struts
Cusco Camber Plates
5 Lug Conversion
MazdaSpeed6 Front Brakes
- Drilled/Slotted Rotors
- Ceramic Pads

Probe GT Rear brakes
- Drilled/Slotted Rotors
- Ceramic Pads

CorkSport Front Strut Tower Bar
Rear Strut Tower Bar

New Paint: ChalkBoard Black, Second Car on the left, OR/WA Meet 9/2012
Last edited by MrMazda92 on June 23rd, 2016, 11:15 pm, edited 161 times in total.
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: MrMazda92's Blaze Red '92 GS(Tracy)

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, first, it's great you decided to start a worklog. Kudos on that.
But then, I've noticed you haven't posted a SINGLE PICTURE of your car in here. Shame on you. :P
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Small update:

Parts are still rolling in for my FGS/Lifter project, I have the new FGS(S) finally, and am awaiting gaskets.

Side note, I picked up a Fidanza 9lb for a steal today. Woooh! One of those items I kept saying "Maybe someday, It's not cost effective now." about, turns out it was. :freak:
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 27th, 2012, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I guess I could throw up a picture, even though it's only part of the car. :P

This is the result of my magic eraser + polish + wax job earlier this year. I strip and reapply wax every 4-5 weeks currently to hold the color and shine. I'll keep that up until I run out, and buy a longer lasting wax. :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/photoqbe.jpg/
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I'm curious what you have planned, 250 BHP is very difficult to achieve without a milage constraint.

It will all be in the tune, rev the s--- out of it, advance the s--- out of it, and build the bottom end super light, to perfect tolerances, and balance. Interpreps and DE's will take you high enough into the revs.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

That's a nice looking "parts" car. Good luck with the build. I look forward to more pics. 8)
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

MrMazda92 wrote:Drivetrain - NA Build in progress; current goal is 250 BHP while maintaining 27+ MPG.
Reminds me of fowljesse :welder: I agree with Ryan, you have a long and potentially expensive road in front of you... Maybe you should shoot for as much HP as you can make while having 27 mpg instead of starting with both. Determine which one is more important and focus on that because I'm not sure how you can do both :shrug:

And what will 250 BHP get you anyways? I mean are you shooting for a specific 1/4 mile time or top speed or something??
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:I'm curious what you have planned, 250 BHP is very difficult to achieve without a milage constraint.

It will all be in the tune, rev the s--- out of it, advance the s--- out of it, and build the bottom end super light, to perfect tolerances, and balance. Interpreps and DE's will take you high enough into the revs.
Edit: I'll do my best to make it work guys, I wouldn't be shooting for it if it were easy. :wink:

Aaron,
Where did I call it a parts car? :shock:

MoonEggs,
Jesse is among the people who inspired me to do things a little differently, and he did just in time too. :D
I'd have probably jumped on the FI bandwagon if I hadn't decided this would be more fun, and honestly 250 BHP is difficult to attain but not impossible. It's a worthy goal for me, and I believe 100% that I will hit it; It won't likely be anytime this year, or maybe even next, but I will hit it.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Also, I picked 250 because it is beyond what most people ever attempt NA for these cars, but not ridiculously so.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

Aaron,
Where did I call it a parts car? :shock:

Lol I have no clue where I got that... I thought I read it in your post but I guess I didn't read it carefully enough the first time.

Anywho, there was no jab intended......Cool car cool build and it looks like you have a great vision for the car.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Haha I knew it wasn't a jab, I figured it had to do with my comment about suspension waiting for a 2nd MX-3.

In that bit, I meant whether I decide to make this a track car or a daily... At this rate, it'll be daily; at least for a while.

Thank you, there's so much I want to do do it... The hardest part has been deciding what's feasible and worth doing in the near future. It's teaching me patience for sure :lol:
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Okay so I took it upon myself to install my new speakers while waiting for various parts to fall into my lap for my other project. Oddly enough, I decided to document this project lightly...

I slit the vinyl? in a Cross pattern to help avoid it peeling back(if I cut it in a circle, as with the door card itself)

I cut a slightly undersized hole from the back side of the door card for the tweeter itself, and then patiently sanded/filed it down until it fit VERY snugly from the other side. This picture was after the rough cut, before sanding.

Tweeter in for test fit, it was incredibly difficult to fit it in, so I know it's not going to be spinning or any nonsense.

Final fitting, I'm debating whether or not I want to make a custom pod for the woofer, or just put the stock cover back on. It currently won't clear the grill covering the speaker, which will need to be there because of the lack of clearance. These guys were a bit of a tight fit...

The picture I took of the mounting point for the tweeter didn't come out quite right, but I DID have to remove the plastic clip that holds the power window harness in place; I simply tucked the power window harness in with the clip that holds the tweeter in place before tightening it down.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

MrMazda92 wrote:Haha I knew it wasn't a jab, I figured it had to do with my comment about suspension waiting for a 2nd MX-3.

In that bit, I meant whether I decide to make this a track car or a daily... At this rate, it'll be daily; at least for a while.

Thank you, there's so much I want to do do it... The hardest part has been deciding what's feasible and worth doing in the near future. It's teaching me patience for sure :lol:

My car is teaching me impatience. :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

AaronTietje wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:Haha I knew it wasn't a jab, I figured it had to do with my comment about suspension waiting for a 2nd MX-3.

My car is teaching me impatience. :lol:
Same here, the project(or rather my wallet...) is the one teaching patience :(
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Minor update!

I bought a '93 GS (ZE swapped already) this August.

I'm spending the next month or so preparing that car for daily driving, as it will be my daily for the duration of THIS build.

Coming soon: Body and Paint, if all goes to plan.

In progress NOW: Engine, Exhaust, Long-term planning for a few custom ideas I have, and scraping together the funds for what is to come...

I was very vague about my performance goals, and I have good reason for that. It's common knowledge that 250 BHP is not an "easy" goal without going FI.

People may, and probably do, doubt that I will meet my goals; That's all part of the challenge.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 14th, 2012, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”