274 Cam on My De-T

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Djdaveflow1

274 Cam on My De-T

Post by Djdaveflow1 »

Can i use my 274 Coltcam for **N/A** performance on my klde-turbo? , i will have some other mod in my head like small porting and valve seat bigger
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 274 Cam on My De-T

Post by Ryan »

You can use it, but you may not see the gains you're looking for from it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I'd guess the NA cams might have too much duration for FI. I'd bet there's a question like this on probetalk.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

you want higher lift usually for turbo applications not duration, as it will contribute to higher end gains when the turbo spools. BUT anything you do to your car N/A to improve your performance like cams will improve your performance when you give it FI.

This is why my B6 made so much power, I was using stage 2 racing cams it dyno'd at almost 238 WHP boosting at 14psi, I was anywhere from 20 to 40 hp higher than others with similar setups. There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to cams and boost general rule of thumb if it makes power N/A then it will when boosted. despite what many forum goers say, it all comes down to the set up and the tuning.

There is such a thing as too BIG though to. I may have stretched that line with my set up, it has to idle at 1200 rpms to stay alive. Here is a link to my first start up on my BP, the cams are made for SCCA N/A track use, they are like 286 duration and 11.4mm lift i was the first to use them on a turbo application same with my B6 cams. A K series would sound a hell of a lot better than an I4 but http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 318102561# at idle many have asked if i had a 4.6 under the hood, i dont think it sounds like a v8. But cams will defiantly give you that aggressive sound.

Probably TMI but i though it might help
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Holy s--- Josh, you're right, those cams are ridiculous. I think you mean advertised duration right? They're more like 220? Were you interference at .45" lift?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Ryan wrote:Holy s--- Josh, you're right, those cams are ridiculous. I think you mean advertised duration right? They're more like 220? Were you interference at .45" lift?
no no I am pretty sure they are really 286 duration i will have to find the spec sheet to make sure. They were from Integral cams, and they had one more set with bigger duration and TODA cams were the biggest i cam across, but kept it moderate and was going for the lift. I had the shop do the head work I wanted to ensure that it was done correctly and I didn't want to take any chances with the amount I was dumping into it. they said that they were some of the biggest cams they have seen put into a 4 banger, we had to file the sides of the lifter guides so the lobes would clear. I did all the final assembly work. Yes they were interference at .45 so when I purchased custom length SS back cut valves to compensate. I am also only at 8.4:1 comp ratio vs. the stock 9:1

fun stuff, I am getting so eager to get this thing back on the road.
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

Interprep makes a sick set of cams ranging all the way up to 280grind they require DE heads for specific shimming, fuel management is also a requirement to run them. www.interprep.com if the link is ring just google it.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
Djdaveflow1

Post by Djdaveflow1 »

Flinch wrote:Interprep makes a sick set of cams ranging all the way up to 280grind they require DE heads for specific shimming, fuel management is also a requirement to run them. http://www.interprep.com if the link is ring just google it.

The answer from coltcam : Yes, the 274° will work in a turbo you will get a little more turbo lag than necessary though compared to our true turbo grind.

Difference between cam

COLT PERFORMANCE N.A.
INT & EXH: 210° @ .050 .355 LIFT (274° Advertised duration)

COLT PERFORMANCE TURBO
INT: 210°@ .050 .355 LIFT
EX: 200° @ .050 .350 LIFT

and

NEW TRI-FLOW GRIND:

Exh: 210° @ .050 / 274° duration .355 L Turbo

I will put this cam on my new KL forged engine
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Djdaveflow1 wrote:NEW TRI-FLOW GRIND:

Exh: 210° @ .050 / 274° duration .355 L Turbo
You can't compare a 274* tri-flow with a regular 274* cam, that's a whole different ball game
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Forced Induction”