a few questions..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xmx3boix
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

a few questions..

Post by xmx3boix »

Hey i have a 1993 mx3 1.8l gs (k8). it has about 180,000k on it and ive changed over quite a few things so far. ive put in a new alternator, new starter, new plugs and wires, new battery, serptentine and ps belts have both been changed, i also have changed over the crank angle position sensor (NE2) as that code was appearing earlier on my onboard diagnostic.. for the longest time it would take a long time to crank and then turn over (about 4-5 seconds) then finally start, the check engine light was always on. it would always start just take a very long time... after changing part after part, i finally discovered the problem was the disty. so i ordered a brand new one and changed that. i believe my car needs to be timed tho, as i may have moved the rotor when i was taking it off. if it hesitates in the lower rpms then takes off in the higher rpms does that mean the timing is off? i dont think its off by much but it has to be as it wasn't doing it before. also the check engine light sometimes still comes on and its still giving me the code NE2...but i changed the crank angle position sensor. wtf?

i have also been looking for ways to beef up the hp and torque. i have replaced practically the entire subframe and suspension, as well as cv axles and whatnot...

what is a good premanufactured cold air intake that can be ordered online for my car? is there any online chip manufacturers that increase hp? i would love to get my hands on a KLZE, howvever thats not very practical for me right now. any hints how to beef it up? thanks guys
BrandonM
antispam: No

Re: a few questions..

Post by BrandonM »

Just waiting for it.............-shakes head-
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Welcome to the forum...

As far as performance upgrades, read this: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=77150

And for the CEL still on, you have to clear out codes from the ecu...just search, and there will be quite a few posts on how to do this. And as far as replacing the disty, just giving you a heads up, these are failure prone parts...one way to avoid constant replacement costs is to do the HEI mod...which is basically wiring in a GM ignition module in to overide the stock ignition module. This is pretty much a permanent fix...heres the link for the how to post: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53706
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Welcome to the forum.
A K8 is a K8 is a K8. Buy a nice fart can muffler and leave it at that. Where do you live? You should add that in your Profile. You say you can't afford a ZE well you may be surprised to find out you just may be able to or at least a DE. There are deals you just have to watch for them. As an example if my spare ZE compression tests good I may sell it for less than Importers charge so be active and watch out for deals. MX-6 and Probetalk or Clubprotege are our sister/brother web sites. Join them too.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

If you can't afford a KL-ZE, you can get a DE for a fraction of the price. I don't know where you live, but here in Miami you can get a Millenia DE or a KL-G4 for about $150-200. Either one will give you 174 HP, against the 135 HP of the K8.
Now, most people here will advise you to bite the bullet and go straight for the ZE. Personally, I think forking out an extra 800+ dollars to get a 25HP difference is a waste of money, but to each their own.

Either engine is a direct swap (pretty much), and will be a big improvement over the K8, not only because of the power difference, but because there are a lot more parts for the KL than for the K8.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
xmx3boix
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by xmx3boix »

ah! thanks alot guys. one more question. i had a 94 mx3 1.8L v6, same engine k8, and had the same problem as i do with this one....when it gets warmer outside, and the engine heats up, or when it is left idling for five or more minutes, when i go to drive it, the idle rpms will increase to about 1500, then slowly work its way up to about 3k... after i drive it around on the highway at highspeeds for a short time then come to a stop and let the engine idle again it will return to about 800rpm...does anyone know what causes this??

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”