Flywheel question.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Flywheel question.

Post by cWs306 »

eh, k im doing a ze swap right now and was wondering if it is really necessary to resurface the fly wheel? what really happens if u use it without it being resurfaced? reason for the question, my garage is out of the city and i wanna know if i can just proceed and swap the fly wheel to the ze or do i gotta go on a back and fourth journey? thanks.
Ryan

Re: Flywheel question.

Post by Ryan »

Its good insurance. It will make your clutch last longer as well. you don't HAVE to, its just like not resurfacing rotors, if they've seen the same pads for 60k, they're going to have a certain dip in them that the new pads will have to conform to before being effective. This is just much harder to fix. If the flywheel is from the OEM clutch, I personally, would do it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

yah see thats the thing.. i did a auto to manny swap on this car also lol.. but the parts car i bought had like 75% life if not more left on the clutch so i just used that. lol. if it was done by a shop do they always resurface the fly wheel or what? ive never taken my car to one befor hah.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

A good shop will. My machinist charges $35 to surface a flywheel. Pennies when put up against the cost of a clutch and the time to change it out.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

hmmm, trying to figure out if that parts car was taken car of right or not, it was a roll over. but it had tokico struts and the 2 springs that were still there were aftermarket of some sort. tire's were really nice summer tire's. ahh screw it. if i gotta pull it out again w.e. i want my ze!
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

errr...if you're swapping to a ZE, changing out the clutch and having the flywheel machined would be a good idea. especially since the added horsepower from the ze will put more stress on the stock clutch....exploding clutches are no fun to deal with...especially when they take the tranny out with em
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

oh its not a stock clutch going in.. just the fly wheel. i got a center force dual friction clutch..

edit: i'm just trying to figure out if it would be okay. i can always swap it later, no problems there. and the stock clutch i just pulled it out yesterday and it still looks pretty much the same as when i put it in..
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Is your new clutch meant for a 2.5L? If so you'll have a 0.25" ring where your old clutch didn't touch and there will be a difference in height on the surface. I had mine resurfaced when I did my ZE swap but I went with a stage 3 clutch which has less contact area but has a more abrasive material. I plan on using the same flywheel/clutch combo on my new ZE, however I can't decide if machining it down to a lightweight flywheel is worth the cost as they charged me 80+ bucks to have it resurfaced.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

yah my clutch is for a mx-6. the centerforce dual friction.. and yah see thats my same problem. anywhere in my city they want over $100 for it resurfaced.. and my fly wheel is like.......... BRAND NEW! thats why i dont even think i need to resurface it. im selling my clutch to buddy cause its still in such good shape. and ahh if i gotta repull the motor again in the future, whatever :P it will go in 100x easier then it is now.

Return to “Transmissions”