LSD ???

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
AaronTietje
antispam: No

LSD ???

Post by AaronTietje »

I know the mazdaspeed protige LSD fits into the V6 gseries trans but does the mazdaspeed 3 from 2008 fit as well.

Thanks Aaron
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Mi|<E

Re: LSD ???

Post by Mi|<E »

http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd

Mazdaspeed LSD's < Helical
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

No, the later Mazda 3 is completely different motor and trans... They are 15 years apart in development and manufacture. Mazda is not so crappy as to sell the same technology for 15 years.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

Thanks for the help and the link. :D
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

so what your saying aaron is i can find a junked mazdaspeed protige and take the lsd out and put it in my mx3?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

or is the gseries tranny only a 4 cylinder thing
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

kulluminati777 wrote:so what your saying aaron is i can find a junked mazdaspeed protige and take the lsd out and put it in my mx3?
Kinda but it's a G-series trans thing, so works for both 4-cyl and V6 g-series.

HOWEVER, it's ring gear is for a 4.11:1 pinion gear, so you need to either use a Mx-6/626 trans/gears (of you could swap to the better ZX2 gears which are 4.11:1 too), or you drill off the rivets holding in the ring gear on the MSP, drill off the ones on your K8/Probe trans and bolt the old ring gear onto the new diff for it to work on your 4.38:1 trans. The bolts you'll have to research which ones people used, they need to be of some good quality ones, not sure if they need to be of a low profile....

ANOTHER thing is the speedo ring gear. The MSP uses the ABS sensors for the speedo, so the diff doesn't have the groove machined for the speedo gear. You can either machine the diff to fit the gear, which my mechanic measured would leave too much play and not enough material for the gear, or you machine the gear to fix the diff, which the bearing on top is a press-fit anyway and will hold the speed gear in tightly.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

ah i see thats alot of work for a noob like me lol but someday i will be able to or find some who could do it for me if i got my hands on all the parts
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Technically it should be easy for any automotive professional. mx3autozam installed his own Phamtom Grip himself, most have, and those pseudo-LSD's install into the OEM diff.

My own mechanic was able to take apart and build my trans. I was doing the ZX2 SR gearset with a welded and balanced MSP LSD. The only thing that set back that build was that the inside of the trans ended up being sandblasted, and when the temperature changed just enough, the pressed-in brass sleeves inside the trans would become very lose, so I had to source a new trans that was cheap and ideally not working properly just for the casing. If you get an Mx-6/626 trans or the ZX2 gearset, there's no fabwork or drilling involved.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAHH!

lol years later and im still a noob so here is a noob Q

Instead of swapping gears i couldnt just put a ZX2 tranny on a KLZE???
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nope, similar(or identical?) guts, different case.

People like the swaps since you can pick up much newer ones than a "true MX-3 trans", as the car was made later. :2thumbsup:

Newer synchros, lower miles on the entire assembly(possible, not guaranteed), and benefits of it being badged a Ford = cheaper.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, the ZX2 use G-series gearing. You can swap the internal gearing from any trans with the same gearing. A range of makes of models and gearing, v6 and 4cyls it doesn't matter. This is kind of cool cause you can get gearsets from cars from the 80's, to cars into the 2000's. While you can swap the gears, the housings are matched to the motors, so you can't bolt a G-series trans from a Mazda 4cyl to replace the G-series trans from a Mazda with a V6, but you can open up the boxes and swap the guts.

There's not much choice for final drives, typically 4.388:1 and 4.105:1. 5th gear can be swapped alone, but to change 1-4 off the input and output shafts requires special processes and not really easy or doable. When chaning the gearset, you need to make sure to use the matching differential since the pinion gear on the output shaft has to match the ring gear on the differential, unless you drill out the rivets and swap the ring gear from your original set; you'll see this for those that want to use a MSP LSD with the Mx-3 gearing. A ring gear of your choice needs to be installed if you purchase an M-Factory or Quaife LSD.

Return to “Transmissions”