Metallic scratching noise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
skatecboy45
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Metallic scratching noise

Post by skatecboy45 »

So I recently replaced both of my CV axles, but now I have this loud metallic almost scratch type noise coming from my front driver side wheel area. I dont know if my inner brake pads might be worn, and I dont think I have a warped rotor because the car doesnt shudder or pulse when braking. It seems to be worse at low speeds 5-35, and becomes louder upon braking and having the wheel slightly right doesnt help to much.
As you could imagine being in a parking lot like this is very embarrasing.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Metallic scratching noise

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Do you still have the metal shroud behind the rotor?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
skatecboy45

Post by skatecboy45 »

Yep. I thought it might have been bent and scratching against my rotor but I took the wheel off and bent the shroud back a little bit where it looked like it was rubbing
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check that the nut on the axle is still tight. If you do not pinch them they can come loose, and often will after a day or two of driving. Did you put the nut on with air? You should if you did not and can usually talk a tech at a oil change shop into tightening it for a few bucks tip (bring your axle socket with you). Check your wheel lugs and make sure the wheel is seated properly on the hub (aftermarket wheels will not seat properly more often b/c of a difference in hub diameter and wheel centers). Check your trans fluid (although I doubt that is it). Check the strut bolts or ball joint bolts (whichever you took off to get the axle in and out). Make sure you did not put the strut bolts in backward (stock ones do not matter and will fit fine either say, but they might be longer if somewhere along the line they were replaced). Did you loosen the brake caliper mount? You know, the C shaped piece of metal that holds the brake to the spindle?
Basically, if you carefully and slowly go through the whole job bolt for bolt you will find what is making the noise, since it did not make it before and you can almost bet the new axles are ok and do have grease inside the boots... right ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
skatecboy45

Post by skatecboy45 »

Sweet thankyou. I am going to do exactly what you said when I get the time to.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”