Key Bending

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mxmikey
antispam: No

Key Bending

Post by mxmikey »

I bought my precious mx-3 in 8/2008. It only had after market keys. Since I have got the car I have had about five keys made, because they will either get bent by someone putting the long key barely in the door lock and bending it. It has also been bent by being on my key chain (I have about 15 keys) either being tangled up in another ring or any other issue. I had a perfectly good key in October when I dropped my car off in storage and just the other day I realized it is now bent. Luckily one has never broke on me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem if Home Depot just makes bad keys, or maybe I am just plain unlucky.
93 GS/SE
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Key Bending

Post by PATDIESEL »

memememe. I freek'n hated my original keys design. The key was too long for the thin spot right after the keys head. So it would bend and eventually break off in the lock. I tried all kindsw of different key places; Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes, Mazda and Ace Hardware, they all bent/broke. Thank god they never broke in the ignition, but I pulled at least 3 from the doors before finally finding a solution. Get a new set of locks and ignition... It was some work to change them all out, especially the ignition, but it was really worth it. I found my set on ebay a Long time ago, but you might be able to get a set from one of the cars being parted out on here for a decent price. Just get a pic of the key before buying and you are golden. Make sure you ask the seller for the lock rings that hold the locks in the doors/hatch. They can get bent if you are rough with them and then they do not hold the lock in very well.
GL :welder:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

Do different year ignitions have different key sizes? Or do other cars such as the Protege have an ignition switch that can easily be modified to fit?
93 GS/SE
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Just a bit of advice from my experience but Ive only ever bent a key in the door lock not the ignition. I bought an aftmkt lock actuator kit with a remote and havent had a problem since. Not only that but it gives me a nice discount on my insurance having remote locks as well.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

A lot of keys now especially the coloured ones are aluminum. I always make sure the ones I buy are brass. Still Madza does make one long a** key, not sure why. My MX6 and my MPV keys were even longer than the MX3 keys.

Didn't they make a movie about this: 'The Last Key Bender'
Last edited by Daninski on March 10th, 2011, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sleeper6 wrote:Just a bit of advice from my experience but Ive only ever bent a key in the door lock not the ignition. I bought an aftmkt lock actuator kit with a remote and havent had a problem since.
x2
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

mmm, good idea on the auto doors. Probably cheaper than new locks and probably take as long to install. Also, alot cooler. Wish I had thought of that years ago... lol
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

As a lot of us know Mazda locks are notorious for seizing up. I've applied penetrate with no success at all. If your using key less entry be sure to use your key every few weeks to keep the locks working and lubricate the locks especially before winter up north here. If the battery dies and your locks are seized your screwed.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mxmikey

Post by mxmikey »

Thanks for the ideas everyone a remote lock does sound like fun :).
93 GS/SE
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

Yeah, I had the same problem, bent & broken keys, so I got a fusion remote security system which doubles for central locking.. only problem I had was putting an after-market door actuator in the drivers side cos - if you use the key in the drivers door, it opens the passengers too, bu if you use the key in the passenger door, it only opens the passengers door.. use a aftermarket door popper kit for twenty five bucks. make up the little linkage that links the actuator to the locking arm with a cut-off coathanger and heatshrink tubing.. works a treat. ;-)... if ya need help with a walk-through, making it remote central locking, just ask. ;-)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Lubricate your locks once a year, you'll have no problems. Little straw that comes with WD-40 or whichever (I prefre CRC 3-36) works great
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:Lubricate your locks once a year, you'll have no problems. Little straw that comes with WD-40 or whichever (I prefre CRC 3-36) works great
Change your clocks, lube your locks... :lol: I use a dry graphite lube personally, it cleared up the VERY rough locks on my hatch and passenger side of my '92.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”