Anyone Have H.I.D.'s On Their Cars?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
grim760
antispam: No

Anyone Have H.I.D.'s On Their Cars?

Post by grim760 »

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/2242437310.html
I wanted to put some H.I.D.'s on my car but after asking around people have been telling me that I need some kind of special housing. And they also brought up a good point. The H.I.D.'s get really hot and could melt the thin plastic. So what I want to know is if any of you guys have H.I.D.'s and if you guys did any mods for it?

These are the lights that I have on now and I just realized that they aren't D.O.T. approved if that matters.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-BLAC ... 215wt_1007
solo_ryder

Re: Anyone Have H.I.D.'s On Their Cars?

Post by solo_ryder »

I run HID's in all the cars I have had, winter beat skeets, mx3's and now my 240sx all with regular halogen housings. As long as you aim them correctly you will be ok. Be aware that HID's in halogen housings are pretty much illegal anywhere you go so make sure you dont get some stupid color like crazy blue or purple.. You are usually safe between 4300k-6000k. I personally run 4300k as it is the brightest and whitest light you can get (matches cars with OEM projectors). They will not melt OEM housings.

55 bux for a kit is cheap, keep in mind you will loose your high beam!

As for the projector lights you see on eBay, well make sure you get a set that are compatible with HID kits, there are sets out there so read descriptions and talk to the sellers. These will give you the best lighting for sure, but if you are on a tight budget or dont like the look of the projectors go with HID kit in OEM housings
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

Warning: H.I.D's will change your life
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
slayer322
antispam: No

Post by slayer322 »

i've never had an issue with putting HID's in stock headlights, or even fog lights yet. eBay headlights, ive heard there being some issues though
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

slayer322 wrote:i've never had an issue with putting HID's in stock headlights, or even fog lights yet. eBay headlights, ive heard there being some issues though
They are not meant to go in regular lights. They will glare and blind oncoming traffic and anyone you're following. People will hate you, in worst case they will beat you down in parking lot somewhere and/or take a baseball bat to your lights
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mitmaks wrote:
slayer322 wrote:i've never had an issue with putting HID's in stock headlights, or even fog lights yet. eBay headlights, ive heard there being some issues though
They are not meant to go in regular lights. They will glare and blind oncoming traffic and anyone you're following. People will hate you, in worst case they will beat you down in parking lot somewhere and/or take a baseball bat to your lights
Ive never had issues.. Just gotta aim em right.

That being said, the stock MX3 housings are a pretty bad base for HID's most all other halogen housings are designed better.
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

i got 10k hid in my mx with the stock headlight plastic it gets warm not hot and have had them on for two and a half years still shinning strong
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,
-eunos-

Post by -eunos- »

I swapped my stock fog lights with RRP$2000 worth of HID work lamps from a 900 series Fendt tractor... ( I worked in a ag business, they dropped off the back of a truck.. he he.)

OMG! INSANE IMPROVEMENT!

lets just say, ummmm. at midnight, it was like DAYTIME!

hooked them up as driving lights with the fog-lamp switch and relay.

but I've got a skyline bodykit on my mx now, so they don't fit. :-(
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

hids ftw!...

i bought some for my moms 2010 aveo and my grand-pa's 2007 vibe!

never will i have a car without hids!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sisko182

Post by Sisko182 »

Just get Bi-Xenon HIDs and not having high beams will no longer be an issue.
$i$Ko

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

I've got hid's in the euro glass headlight housings. I love them. Looks great and light output is great!
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea thats what I was running.

I heard those bi xenons are crap
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've been running HIDs in the first style of projectors since they came out. Amazing difference. They won't melt the plastic, but they do get hot. Enough to evaporate water, ha. I've got a set of bulbs in my Savanna 2500 work van, stock housings. No one ever flashes me, those housings almost have a projector-like cut-off though, and I made sure they were aimed properly.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”