Something in my coolant- head gasket?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
carizle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Something in my coolant- head gasket?

Post by carizle »

had this car a few months i'm still a noob here. my issues are a leaking waterpump and some type of gunk in my coolant that keeps coming back. i've flushed and backflushed numerous times. my sense of smell isnt that great so i'm not sure if its oil, combustion gases or what...i check my oil all the time it hasnt gone down, as at first i thought the previous owner put oil in the wrong filler cap. when i did a compression test they all read 185...except for one i couldnt get a reading because the threads seem to be messed up so it kept popping out....Daninski help me out you claimed you know what it was :freak:
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
newdriver92

Re: Something in my coolant- head gasket?

Post by newdriver92 »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76143
look at a couple of my post i had the same issue
worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77147
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
carizle

Post by carizle »

hmmm thanks for the link newdriver...see in my case when i've flushed it i tapped a water hose fitting directly into my heater hose turn the water on and ran the car with the rad drain cock open for over a half hour, and i've done this three times, until it runs clear. then after driving around it starts to come back. its kind of light grey in color, mostly gunks up the cap, filler neck and the overflow tank. i guess what i'm really hoping is that someone will tell me its not a head gasket, maybe grease from the waterpump seal that went bad and leaks....but that probably sounds crazy and i'm holding out false hope to not have to completely tear apart the engine.

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

u usually dont see stuff in coolent unless its deposits and scale u usually do see it in stuff
(stuff doesnt leak in coolant leaks out) lol
and it can also be from air pockets in the system did u drain it from the hoses that run to the oil filter as well
cause those hoses are from the engine block cooling system
i guess what im trying to say is that, thats what i forgot to do (well i forgot to do one of them and only did the front side of the engine and not the firewall side) and i had the same sludge
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
carizle

Post by carizle »

Ok tomorrow if it stops raining at all I'll look into it again and check those lines thanks man

newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

Aha no prob man I've been having issues as well man but I think its my head gasket this time I need do another oil change and a compression test to ease my worries or help make them wore
Savin

Post by Savin »

Light gray in color, eh? Is it a milky gray? Or a metallic-y gray? Someone could have just put some Stop-Leak in there if its metallic-y. If its milky, its probably a head gasket. When My brother and I replaced the motor in his truck, it had TONS of water, like 3 gallons, in the oil. (split block after 290K miles) and it was nothing but gray sludge in the radiator. We ended up changing the radiator for the one out of the donor truck 'cause we couldn't get all the sludge out of the rad. It just kept coming out continuously like a long gray noodle of death, haha.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
carizle

Post by carizle »

I'm going to get a block tester today from NAPA that should put a rest to the uncertainty. You should try that too newdriver if your still having the same issues. The blue fluid is supposed to turn yellow if theres any compustion gases in the cooling system.

carizle

Post by carizle »

So i guess good news that this liquid stayed blue after repeated tests for combustion gases. I even checked it against my tailpipe as the car was idling just to make sure, and it kind of turned a green color....I guess on to changing the waterpump and flush flush flush!

newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

ok well i hope u get it fixed and figured out
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

hey carizle im wondering is your car a auto or a standard
carizle

Post by carizle »

5 speed of coarse :P

carizle

Post by carizle »

oh i think i know what you were thinkin is it the auto tranny fluid leaking into the radiator :lol:

newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

lol ok ahah cause mines an auto :( well anywho i took her to the shop and the guy said that it may be my tranny oil, leaking through the oil cooler pipe in the radiatior
carizle

Post by carizle »

Yeah that would be the easy way out to change the radiator if thats what it is. I still haven't had the chance to change my water pump yet. I'm hoping somehow that the gunk is related to that and will just go away. Hell I ran a compression test, did the color change block test, and everythings fine. So I really cant imagine what else it would be. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually but it might take me awhile. :throwup:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”