thinking of swapping my ATX to MTX, so what do i need

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
newdriver92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

thinking of swapping my ATX to MTX, so what do i need

Post by newdriver92 »

i'm thinking of switching my ATX to MTX and i was wondering what hardware do i need other then MTX and clutch, and lines
worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77147
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: thinking of swapping my ATX to MTX, so what do i need

Post by Daninski »

I have no time to search right now but I know I've read a couple of swaps over the last 3-4 years. Big job but not complicated. You didn't mentioned ECU, flywheel, switches and I'm not sure about the brake/clutch reservoir. Surf the Search feature and I'm sure you'll find something. people say it's a lot easier if you have a donor vehicle handy to compare and rob parts from. Happy Shifting. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Its actually only like 6/10 difficulty... no serious modifications needed (cutting steel, welding, etc) its all roughly plug and play minus wiring.

transmission, flywheel, clutch
shift linkage and shifter
your ECM/harness is likely fine, depends what motor you have. Only B6 DOHC has an issue.
clutch pedal assembly
master and slave and line
some wire to run the starter interlock switch to the park/neutral switch

Thats about it, I think. search around, its in a bunch or worklogs and probably in the FAQ.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

Ok thanks. :) I have a k8 any issue there
other pics of the adventures me and the car have been on http://s1082.photobucket.com/home/newdriver92/index
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

0 issue's with the v6. i just did mine auto-manny, its all plug and play. only toughy is what ryan said (starter interlock switch to the park/neutral switch) u can skip it.. BUT, u wont have reverse lights. oh and ur gunna have a hold light on the right side of ur gauge cluster that flashes, just ignore it.. or be mr.fix it and rip ur dash apart and take out that bulb. hope you got it goin good, post is a little old.
newdriver92

Post by newdriver92 »

thanks man :) and im doing a de swap at the same time
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Anytime man, if you got any questions for this swap, dont hesitate to pm me.. ill help all i can!
myfirstmazda

Post by myfirstmazda »

hey I was wondering today... how hard is it to swap the other way? from manual to auto? I would need trans, torque convertor & flexplate, shifter, tps, what else?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Entire wiring harness, body and engine. Body harness alone is a serious, serious pain.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

newdriver92 wrote:thanks man :) and im doing a de swap at the same time
I also had completed the GS DE swap and auto to MTX swap at the same time. Check out my worklog or PM me if I can help with questions.

Good luck
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

myfirstmazda wrote:hey I was wondering today... how hard is it to swap the other way? from manual to auto? I would need trans, torque convertor & flexplate, shifter, tps, what else?
Just curious, but WHY would you want to do that???? That would be like asking how to swap out your KLZE for a 1.6 SOHC....kind of going backwards in the performance and reliability department if you know what I mean.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
myfirstmazda

Post by myfirstmazda »

muttpower wrote:
myfirstmazda wrote:hey I was wondering today... how hard is it to swap the other way? from manual to auto? I would need trans, torque convertor & flexplate, shifter, tps, what else?
Just curious, but WHY would you want to do that???? That would be like asking how to swap out your KLZE for a 1.6 SOHC....kind of going backwards in the performance and reliability department if you know what I mean.
well, it has to do with my wife being able to drive the car. just one of the options I was considering. any other way, I would just end up replacing the car with something with an auto. anyway, it sounds like it would be more work than it's worth. guess I'm gonna sell it. :shrug:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

myfirstmazda wrote:
muttpower wrote:
well, it has to do with my wife being able to drive the car. just one of the options I was considering. any other way, I would just end up replacing the car with something with an auto. anyway, it sounds like it would be more work than it's worth. guess I'm gonna sell it. :shrug:
Hey now, that's no solution!

My girlfriend can't drive a stick either, and she refuses to learn. She also wants a Mini Cooper in the near future. ;) A minor stipulation from me, it has to be a stick. It truly makes you a better driver, I know my skills and attentiveness increased greatly when I learned. :) If she's stubborn, give her the pros and cons!

Pros:
Dead battery? Cool, I can keep my job because I drive a 5 speed. ;)
Fuel economy, face it... to get any acceleration out of an automatic you dump fuel.
Carjacking/Theft - Anyone can drive an auto... you'd be surprised how many people can't drive a stick. How'd you like to catch them in your driveway(or garage, when they take out the door)?
You know you won't be caught texting when both hands are occupied!
They're safer:
- Brake failure? Engine braking reduces speed(albeit not as quickly)
- Brake wear? Engine braking reduces this, especially on long downhill drives.
- Manual drivers are typically more attentive, as well as observant. This is from my own experience, I don't have a statistic to support it.
Manuals are cheaper to work on, replace, and diagnose.
More fun... This may be superfluous to some, but it truly does make driving more enjoyable for many.

Cons:
Our ladies will have a hard time applying makeup in the car... which they shouldn't do anyway! :lol:
My girlfriend points out how she "couldn't eat and drive", usually while I'm doing exactly that... I guess if she runs out of real excuses she could fall back on this one?
It's difficult to learn - This depends entirely on motivation.
You will need to replace your clutch(every 100,000+ miles if you don't dump it at 8k every day)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Pros:
Dead battery? Cool, I can keep my job because I drive a 5 speed. ;)
Fuel economy, face it... to get any acceleration out of an automatic you dump fuel.
Carjacking/Theft - Anyone can drive an auto... you'd be surprised how many people can't drive a stick. How'd you like to catch them in your driveway(or garage, when they take out the door)?
You know you won't be caught texting when both hands are occupied!
They're safer:
- Brake failure? Engine braking reduces speed(albeit not as quickly)
- Brake wear? Engine braking reduces this, especially on long downhill drives.
- Manual drivers are typically more attentive, as well as observant. This is from my own experience, I don't have a statistic to support it.
Manuals are cheaper to work on, replace, and diagnose.
More fun... This may be superfluous to some, but it truly does make driving more enjoyable for many.

Cons:
Our ladies will have a hard time applying makeup in the car... which they shouldn't do anyway! :lol:
My girlfriend points out how she "couldn't eat and drive", usually while I'm doing exactly that... I guess if she runs out of real excuses she could fall back on this one?
It's difficult to learn - This depends entirely on motivation.
You will need to replace your clutch(every 100,000+ miles if you don't dump it at 8k every day)

That is the best pro's and Con's of a standard ive ever seen. LOL awesome!!! hahaha.
myfirstmazda

Post by myfirstmazda »

I agree with you 100% and you are preaching to the choir, but she won't learn a stick, especially in this small of a car.

Return to “Transmissions”