Rear caliper issue....

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
jamesmx3

Rear caliper issue....

Post by jamesmx3 »

My rear caliper won't hold the wheel with the pedal pressed, but the hand brake holds it just fine. I tried to bleed it, but got no air out of it. The piston winds in and out ok too.

Anything I'm missing here? It's a relatively new caliper, I'd say maybe 2years old, with braided lines.
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikeetown
antispam: No

Re: Rear caliper issue....

Post by mikeetown »

well, in 2 years, it can just randomly go. Just rebuild it yourself. One thing people miss, is the two pins that bolt the caliper down, maybe the the centre rod that is suppose to move isn't moving?? you should check that. If you understand what I mean I hope. I dont know part names really. I can just fix stuff.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

the inside pad is unevenly worn, like on an angle, I can only assume I fitted it wrong. Only about 10% of the pad was making contact with the disc. I've ordered a new set, I hope it cures the problem, as pads are a lot cheaper than a new caliper!

I tried to pull one apart when I changed the calipers last time, but it was beyond me!
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

miketown has identified the issue correctly. the slides are seized. the calipers, both front and back, should be able to move freely by hand. meaning for the back, which is a floating caliper, it should be able to pivot freely up and down after you've removed the bolt, and ALSO it should able to move BACK and FORTH towards and away from the spindle. the same would go for the slide portion where the bolt was removed from.

seized caliper slides mean uneven brake wear like you've seen, and brakes either dragging and not disengaging or not able to engage at all. get a slide kit which comes with new slides and rubber boots fora round 5 bucks. cheap parts, lots and lots of labor. our brakes suck.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Rebuild caliper or install a new one. Also make sure your pins/sliders are greased up.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
whitete
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by whitete »

I second that ^
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”