KLG4 swaps

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

KLG4 swaps

Post by mikeetown »

anyone with an OBDII mx-3 ever done a KLG4 swap, wanted to do it, and have any good info on why it is not a common swap??

You fin the motor in a 1996 - 2002 mazda 626 i beleive. It is distributorless. Has the lightest crankshaft (by 7lbs) in the k series motors. Crank is missing the centre counter balance. Has 170hp. I dont know if it is also a 7000rpm redline. You can put DE, ZE intake on it. Bolts in place of a DE or ZE apparently. I guess it comes down to sensors if swapping this motor in????

Is it better than a DE????
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: KLG4 swaps

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's been done before.

1998-2002 626s only

The cranks vary in weight by year, the differences are reported between 4 and 7 pounds.

Solid lifters(No more tap tap)

Redline is determined by the ECU, but I believe it remained unchanged.

DE intake porting, and the IM is one of the greatest components of the engine. Port, polish, keep!

9.5:1 CR pistons as well.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

well i just found a thread on KLG4 swaps and I guess its just as easy as a KLDE swap. I like the solid lifters. Probably a more refined motor i assume
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've not messed with a G4, but I hear they are pretty much the same (from a hook-up perspective) as a DE. I am not sure how the distyless system would work on a OBD2 ECU since I have not messed with that either. HPPwdn might be able to help, but I know he runs a MSnS on his car and thus the stock ECU is not controling the spark. I would check one of the probe or mx6 forums. They are still swapping regularly and the G4 is much more common there.
PS- it is the best motor for a turbo set-up.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”