question about manifold and maf

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
reaper_cory
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

question about manifold and maf

Post by reaper_cory »

hello my mazda friends.
i have a mx3 b6d, and i want to supercharge him, i already have a small turbo but i still need to do a manifold for it, my question is,there are any sensor that i have to pay attention in my stock manifold?
And the other topic is my maf, i read somewhere that the stock maf can only do the proper calculations if the boost don't pass the 0.2 bar, is that right?

p.s i tried to use the search but it didn't help at all, and i'm sorry for my poor English :roll:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: question about manifold and maf

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you need to do a lot of reading, here is my worklog:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=69074

you may need to look at egr plumbing and O2 placement pending on your year and setup choices.
reaper_cory

Post by reaper_cory »

hi RS_OBD'oh_2 , i read your whole post and I'm amazed by what you did to your rs,can i ask how many hp did you squeeze from that beautiful 1.6 :D ?i have a b6d from 1998, black as the night :lol:
And i agree with you, I'm still learning. i took a look at egr and how it works, but I'm still fresh in this, do i have to cut the exhaust gas that goes back to the cylinders? and can you explain me what o2 placement is lol last question, do i have to use a piggy back unit or stand alone ecu to turbocharge a car?even with low boost?thank you and again i'm sorry for my English, and thank you for your patience :D but i really appreciate your help in my small project.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

That's awesome that you're reading and trying to learn. There are many other worklogs that might help you out. Skim over the logs section to learn more. There is a 323 turbo mani that bolts right up. As far as I know, the mani has an EGR port in it that you can use. It can be plugged/removed as well (pending on your ecu) I would imagine that your ecu would be OBDII, as it is a 98... I also thought 98's were the b5 (I am often wrong tho).

I don't know if anyone has tried to use the factory setup for a turbo. It is always best to be proactive and use a piggy or standalone if you have the $. It would make sense that the ecu would add fuel, and trim for that matter... although it won't work that well. You'll need larger injectors and the ecu won't compensate well for this. You're better off using aftermarket electronics. The maf should not throw a code until 12psi (from what I have read about miatas) but there is sooo much more to tuning than just the maf signal. The MAF would be better on the intake side of the turbo instead of the output. Or removed if poss.

I would not worry too much about the O2 for now. A weld in Bung is cheap and easy to do. It will go in the exhaust after the turbo.

My final tune is not done yet... snow kinda f'd that up. I will be taking it in for spring. I am hoping for 200-220 at the wheels for a stock engine. I may have to set that back a touch, we'll see when we get there.
reaper_cory

Post by reaper_cory »

I'm drooling for your mx , i hope mine gets at least close to what your is:) well , after a lot of research, i located a company that makes custom manifold, and I'm looking for a cheap management unit , like mega-squirt.
just one last question ,how can i create the maps for the mega-squirt? with basic computer knowledge :? are any complete maps available for our mx3?
thank you my Mazda bros
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

my car was originally a B6DE, I swapped out the stock ecu and engine bay wire harness for the harness out of a 92-93 mx3 and an ECU from a BP protégé (also has a higher red line 7200); swapped the distributor for a BP distributor and to external coil; and ran a 2nd generation rx7 MAF sensor (or VAF). the RX7 VAF is adjustable and then i installed a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator fully adjustable; ran 310CC injectors off of a 626 i believe and I was able to run 15psi on this set up for almost 2 years with no piggy back system then i decided to go AWD and change everything. :D

Lots of options, look forward to following the progress

Return to “Forced Induction”