Radar?

Off-Topic Discussions
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Radar?

Post by Sleeper6 »

Allright apparently my car reeks of donuts and honey, or atleast thats what that lil piece of paper I got said, kinda... So in that idea I need some good recommendations for a proper radar detector, preferably not something thats just going to beep at random intervals and of decent quality. Rotten Ny cops must have some kind of invisibility mod thats deactivated in the presence of lead. :lol:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Re: Radar?

Post by Mooneggs »

I've been running a valentine one for 7 years now with a heads up display in front of my speedo but that setup would run you close to $500.

The best solution I've found for this problem is to stop speeding. :shrug:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Best radar detector is no radar detector.

Otherwise, V1 or a passport 9500
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

yea Im not looking for the parts store $100 special I just want to make sure if I am going to drop a decent amount of cash its something thats reliable. After all its not really our fault they put the pedal in a position where if its pressed down the car accelerates, c'mon I cant stop gravity :mrgreen:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Mooneggs wrote:
Bingo!

First, remember that USING a radar detector will automatically earn you a ticket (if the cops see it, of course).
Then, you need to know police departments all over the country are switching to lidar, so your radar detector will be useless anyways.

I'm right side heavy, just like you. Thanks to that, I've had my license suspended for 4+ years now. I'd recommend you to try and beat gravity, before you get to that point... :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:
Bingo!

First, remember that USING a radar detector will automatically earn you a ticket (if the cops see it, of course).
Then, you need to know police departments all over the country are switching to lidar, so your radar detector will be useless anyways.

I'm right side heavy, just like you. Thanks to that, I've had my license suspended for 4+ years now. I'd recommend you to try and beat gravity, before you get to that point... :shrug:
Radar detectors are only illegal in MD/VA not in upstate NY so if a cop decides to give a ticket for that hes already more of a deuche anyhow. Only real ticket would be obstructing your windshield which can be avoided. Pretty much Im going to speed anyhow where the interstate dumps out from my daily drive it turns immediately into 30mph, try doing that realistically when theres traffic and your a pancake. I just need a heads up when the pricks are there as obviously our cars are a cops wet dream.
93 GS red (wrecked)
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You guys need to move to BC.. Cops are a rarity here.
Inodoro Pereyra

That "physical impossibility" excuse is as old as cars themselves. It doesn't work now, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work a century ago either.
I had slammed the brakes from 80 mph to a dead stop, so avoid killing a cat, with cars tailgating me so close you probably wouldn't believe it if you don't go there (that's the way everybody drives in Buenos Aires), and, other than the guy cursing the hell out of me, nothing happened.
But, either way, like I said, best case scenario you will be dumping a ton of money into something that will give you a partial protection, as radar detectors don't detect lidar guns.

It's obviously up to you. It'd be interesting to see what excuse you come up with, if you buy a radar detector and they catch you anyways... :shrug:

Diogenes of Sinope.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I had a beltronics i9 something. I dropped it a ton of times until once it stopped working (my fault). Lasted me a good 4 years.

I recently bought a beltronics v8 (not 8 cylinder) model and its nice. It has saved me from plenty of speed traps.

Like other said the best solution is stop speeding but these babys come in handy for when you are in a hurry or if your city has speed traps.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

maybe you should change your name to heatscore6
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm 19, live in the flattest, straightest, easiest place to drive in North America, I'm sure, and I vote just keep it a reasonable 10 over or whatever and hope for the best... I know what its like to be a magnet, but comes with the territory.

Plus, my milage is 30% better at 95 than 120.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Thanks hgallegos I saw those too and was curious about them, I really just need something that will give me a quick heads up. Oh and nice one Rb lol.

Oh and inodoro that might work where its warm and the roads are dry, but its not something you want to do in NY in winter when the roads are covered in ice and slush, I might stop well in all but I cant gaurantee what condition that car behind me is in, and as our cars are pretty much written off after one accident Ild rather take a ticket than a new car. So try that up here on a sheet of ice and tell me how that works for ya :wink:
93 GS red (wrecked)
Inodoro Pereyra

Sleeper: you can twist it any way you want to. In the end, the best policy to avoid being involved in an accident, and, at the same time, avoid getting a ticket, is LIFTING THE RIGHT FOOT. PERIOD.
Sleeper6 wrote: So try that up here on a sheet of ice and tell me how that works for ya :wink:
I did already. December 8, 2005, on I-95, in N. Virginia. First ice of the season.
I was doing 90 to 100, when some idiot in an SUV pulled up right in front of me, and hit the brakes. Since the road looked perfectly clean and dry (and I had never before even seen snow in person), I hit the brakes too, hard, and all of a sudden, I was skidding all over the place. I finished the remainder of the trip doing 30, tops.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:I hit the brakes too, hard, and all of a sudden, I was skidding all over the place. I finished the remainder of the trip doing 30, tops.
My point exactly, you come off an area doing 70mph+ that drops immediatly into a 30mph zone and if the guy behind you isnt paying attention that skidding all over the place comes directly at my rear bumper. So back to point I really am just looking for decent pointers to a good system, ty moon&Hg, as I know its inevitable. Is it possible? Yes. Is it safe and practical to do that? No. As such I would like to be as safe as possible and get a heads up when its necessiary to risk myself and my car so again if anyone has advice on a good reliable system Im all ears :mrgreen:

And Ill stop with my side humor, as yes I know I deserved the ticket I just thought it would be better with little lol
93 GS red (wrecked)
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Yep, dont you just love east rochester? I know the exact stretch your talking about so i can understand.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “Off-Topic”