Shifting Issues

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

Shifting Issues

Post by Letters11 »

This morning my car was shifting fine, I drove about 25 minutes to work and then about 35 minutes to school later on. Shifting was fine until I started pulling away at a light. I went to downshift from 3rd to 2nd and it wouldnt go into gear. Finally i got it in and pulled over in a parking lot. It wouldnt go into any gear unless i forced it. If I slowly tried to put it in gear, the car would stall. If I turn the car off and try to put it in gear it would go just as smooth as before. Once I started the car with it in gear it would make a noise as almost 2 pulleys were rubbing on top of each other ever so slightly, no grinds really. I pulled forward to do a K-Turn and as i was backing up I heard a slight clank. From that point on, everything was normal again. Shifting is back to the way it was. I have about an hour drive home tonight and im hoping I make it. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions. I read that it would be springs, tensioner plates, etc but I dont know. Thanks!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Shifting Issues

Post by Ryan »

Sounds like a clutch issue.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Ryan wrote:Sounds like a clutch issue.
Yea, I guess thats better than a trans though?? Anyway, I went out again this morning and everything was fine. I went to a deli and pulled back out in reverse and when I went to shift to first it wouldnt go in. I shut the car off and started it again. Except the car would move when i had the clutch in like it was an automatic. I made it home but everytime I stopped I had to shut it off. Shiifting was not bad but everytime I shifted and let the clutch out, it slowed the car down as if I was downshifting. Im assuming my clutch is basically shot??? Thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check that your clutch arm is moving enough to fully disengage the clutch just in case that's the problem. First off is there enough fluid in the brake/clutch reservoir?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Daninski wrote:Check that your clutch arm is moving enough to fully disengage the clutch just in case that's the problem. First off is there enough fluid in the brake/clutch reservoir?
The Resevoir was 3/4 full. We just got a lot of snow so i wont be able to look at it for another couple of days. What should i look for with the clutch arm? I looked in the manual and i couldnt find anything. Where is the clutch arm :oops:
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

on the front of the transmission under your intake towards the left you should be able to see a cylinder that pushes a arm that goes inside the tranny. have someone push the clutch in and out with the car running. if the arm isnt moving very much then you have a problem with your hydraulic system. if the arm is moving its probably related to your clutch. you might want to google what its like when a clutch is going as i have never experienced it before.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The actuator only moves the arm end about 1/4-3/8 of an inch.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

ok thanks for all the info. I was alone when doing this, if that makes a difference. Anyway, I topped off the brake fluid and wen under the car. The arm on the side, I pushed in and it slowly crept out a little bit. After the first few times pushing it in and out, it became easier, almost like if it were stuck the first time. I went in the car and pushed the clutch and nothing was there. I did it a few times and the clutch was back to normal. I turned the car on and it shifted like it used to. I shift in and out of gear about 50 times and I had my usual little catches going into first like i have had for who knows how long. I turned it off and went back under the car and pushed that arm in again and then the clutch returned to normal Took it on about a half mile drive, going into every gear without any problem. Hopefully this was all that happened?? This doesnt make sense to me.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

ok so almost a week since I messed with the clutch arm and everything was fine. I parked the car after about a 50 miles drive. I got back in it, backed up and tried to go into first and it wouldnt go. It would go into every gear if I really forced it but not first. I went under the hood and pushed the arm in, as i did the first time this happened, and everything was fine shifting again. I spoke to a mechanic and he said that air could be in the system and when I push in the arm, it purges the air for the time being. When looking at the arm from the front of the car, I see a bleeder. Is this for the clutch system? Should I bleed this? and if so, how? Thanks alot....Again!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Sounds like it could be air but if so you should of felt a difference in the pedal as well. You can try bleeding the system, takes two people of course. Spray a little penetrate on the bleeder about an hour or more before attempting to open it. Should only take a couple of cycles to do the job Good Luck.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

OK everyone, back with another problem!!!!!! I was driving about 50 miles and all was fine. Sat in traffic for about 5 of those miles. Started to accelerate up hill and couldn’t shift into 3rd. Pulled over and did the usual, push that arm in and pump the clutch to get it back out. Nothing happened. There might have been a little more to be pushed in but I was burning my arm every way I tried. Bled the clutch on the side of the road and all was good on the first cycle. Did it again and no air (as far as I can tell). I was feeling that arm that is by the bleeder and it is VERY sloppy. If I push it in, it loosens up and moves all over the place, out of position and such. It seems like it’s supposed to sit in something and it came out? It’s in my driveway now so I’m going to look at it, again!! Any more suggestions? Thanks guys and gals.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

If I am thinking correctly, this is the part im speaking of that is on the front of the transmission, under the front mount.

http://www.familycar.com/includes/secur ... cg==&text=
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The part is inexpensive, just make sure you bled the system properly first. I don't understand how you could of bled the clutch on the side of the road if you were by yourself, it's a two person job?
Part link. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php Good luck
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Daninski wrote:The part is inexpensive, just make sure you bled the system properly first. I don't understand how you could of bled the clutch on the side of the road if you were by yourself, it's a two person job?
Part link. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php Good luck
I had my pops with me and he helped me out. Is the plate type piece that the slave rod goes into supposed to move up and down and all around? It has room to move in all directions and when I push it up, it seems more stable but then falls back down shortly after. It moves alot and the "pin" part of the slave actually came out when this plate like part was moving. Here it is circled in red.

Also, the rod that goes into the slave, the actual one that moves back and forth, does not sit nice and flush like in the picture. It just kind of hangs there and lays where ever gravity is pulling it. I guess I will be buying a new slave since its not too much and hopefully this will work.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

I was under the car and (circled in red in the picture) i heard something fall out of place, almost like a spring or a clip. Anyone know what this part is called or how to get to it. The opening is too small for my hands to fit.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”