starting problem

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
sloyan89
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

starting problem

Post by sloyan89 »

i have a 92 mx3 gs... i swapped it from atx to mtx with a 5 spd out of an mx6. car ran fine before but now i get power when i turn the key on but when i turn it to start nothing happens...everythings connected i can jump the solenoid and start the car...is there any wires that ran to the auto shift lever that wouldnt allow it to start? and anything that has to do with the auto tranny?
wytbishop

Re: starting problem

Post by wytbishop »

I've never done the swap, but the MTX uses neutral and clutch lockout switches to prevent the car from being started in gear. And the ATX will not start unless the tranny is in Park, which I suspect also goes through a "neutral switch" type sensor in the ATX tranny case.

So your stock ATX should have a sensor in it with 2 wires. It's just a normally open switch that closes when the tranny is in park and delivers power to the starter circuit. Your stock wire harness has wires in it that would normally go to that "neutral switch" and need to be connected to either the MTX neutral switch or the the clutch lockout switch (which I personnaly recomend) which is probably attached to the clutch pedal you swapped in. Or you could just find that connector and bridge it and you will be able to start your car with the tranny in any gear and the clutch out...which I wouldn't recommend.

That is probably your problem.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wait, are you saying you shouldn't be able to start the car in any gear even with the clutch depressed? :/
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

MrMazda92 wrote:Wait, are you saying you shouldn't be able to start the car in any gear even with the clutch depressed? :/
No. You should be able to start the car in any gear, as long as the clutch is depressed.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
ethand

Post by ethand »

^correct. Its to prevent people from turning the car on with it running in gear (and therefore stalling/moving straight away)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MrMazda92 wrote:Wait, are you saying you shouldn't be able to start the car in any gear even with the clutch depressed? :/
Nope. That's not what I said.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
sloyan89

Post by sloyan89 »

anyone know where i can splice in to bypass the neutral safety switch? cause theres nothing by the pedals because it was an automatic
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well, if you picked up a book, you'd see that in the manuals, that the park/neutral switch is part of the 4 pin connector in the ATX harness...

Edit, forgot the 4.
Last edited by Ryan on November 22nd, 2010, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”