RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TPS AND THERMOSTAT?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
spete701
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TPS AND THERMOSTAT?

Post by spete701 »

My car idles at strange speeds now.
I can ground pin 10 of the diag. Panel, and adjust the screw for the throttle plate all I want.
At the moment a have it one full revolution from closed. I spent a while playing with it.

TPS is out to lunch, do you really need the feeler gauge and voltometer to position the thing?

Oh and I watched a mechanic adjust the screw in the tb,
What happens if you adjust that screw without having the car in diagnostic mode?
I heard that this is a bad practice, that you are not supposed to do.

I know that I will need to replace a heater core, I smell burning coolant from the interior of the vehicle. I've eliminated a number of vacuum leaks I think my problem may be related to a coolant leak or coolant flow problem. Exaust burns clean. Oil cap does not contain particles. running k8ze with about 100K on it.
Last edited by spete701 on November 15th, 2010, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-The Bus Ryder, a man so cursed as to walk the earth, and at night, ride on the lonely random streets as a passenger.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TPS AND THERMOSTAT?

Post by umcamara »

1. Yes you need a feeler gauge and ohm-meter to adjust the TPS. It's a very precise adjustment that is made.

2. Adjusting the Idle Air Adjustment Screw without the ECU in diagnostic mode will essentially do nothing. Once you've made your changes, the ECU should revert the idle back to what is what before you touched it.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”