Brake Light out but tail light work?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
shade34321
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Brake Light out but tail light work?

Post by shade34321 »

Hey! I just recently bought a '92 Mazda MX-3 and we noticed that my tail lights are a bit dime so we switched out the bulbs for newer ones. Then we realized that when I press on the brakes on the left side one of the light bulbs did not light up at all. When we switched the bulbs in the back left side the same one did not light up again. We are going to be looking for breaks in the wires later on this week but I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any other possible problems before we did that. Thanks!

Tail lights on:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ul ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brakes on:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p6 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
h3xt0r

Re: Brake Light out but tail light work?

Post by h3xt0r »

lolwut?

That is an interesting problem to say the least. My best guess would say a short somewhere on the brake lights. If the car is on and Idling and you hit the brakes does the idle go up about 200rpm-ish? I know when I had a short on the break lights on my mx3 the idle would bounce around. :-P
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
shade34321

Post by shade34321 »

No it doesn't do that. We've also found out if the lights for the car is on it does that but if the lights are off and I hit the brakes then all of them work but the one that normally goes out is really dim. I'm going tomorrow to pull a part to get a new wiring harness for it and see if that fixes it. We tested the continuity of the wires for the harness today and there are no breaks. We'll be checking the voltage tomorrow as well.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Yes it's a tricky one! I had this happen to me. The problem is not in the bulb but in the harness. When I was installing my Altezzas one of the wires going to the bulb socket got accidentally yanked out so when you hit the brakes it would short. I replaced that part of the harness. OP, check for loose wires coming out of the bulb sockets in case any got yanked out and make sure when pulling NOT to yank the wires but the actual sockets!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
shade34321

Post by shade34321 »

Alright got it fixed! Went to my local pull a part and picked up a wiring harness and put it in:D Thanks for the help!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

shade34321 wrote:Alright got it fixed! Went to my local pull a part and picked up a wiring harness and put it in:D Thanks for the help!
No prob man! Glad I could help ;D
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”