cluth master cylinder question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Brooklyn23
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

cluth master cylinder question

Post by Brooklyn23 »

hey i have a 92 mx3 and i am not getting pressure from my clutch so i think my clutch cylinder is going bad the question i have is to there anyone that can tell me how to replace it
wytbishop

Re: cluth master cylinder question

Post by wytbishop »

There are actually two hydraulic components in the clutch system. The Master and the Slave cylinders. The Master cylinder is on the firewall and connected by a push rod to the clutch pedal. The Slave cylinder is actuated by the fluid pushed by the master and acts directly on the clutch throw out arm. I"m not entirely sure how I would go about idetifying which one had failed but it is most likely the master cylinder.

Before you do anything make sure the brake reservoir is filled. The clutch system uses fluid from the brake reservoir. Look for leaks in the system from the brake res to the master cylinder and then all the way to the slave cylinder which is on the front of the transmission. You could just have sprung a leak. If there are no leaks and the fluid level is up I would start with the master because it's the hardest and they're both fairly inexpensive to buy. IF you're wrong, you're left with the easier job of changing the slave cylinder.

Remove the flixible line that goes from the brake reservoir at the master cylinder and elevate it up above the brake res so that it duesn't leak fluid everywhere. Undo the hard line from the bottom of the master cylinder and then remove the two nuts that hold it to the firewall. It's a little weird because there is one stud on the firewall and one stud on the master cylinder body so you have to get under the dash and remove the one nut from inside the car. Then it just slides out. However when you're reinstalling it you have to line up the push rod from inside the car so that it slides into the back of hte master cylinder. You'll need someone to help you with this step.

Re connect everything and bleed the system at the slave cylinder just like you would the brakes. All the information is here...

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /H-008.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Brooklyn23
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: cluth master cylinder question

Post by Brooklyn23 »

thanks a lot i was having trouble finding the nun that was behind the dash in the diagram it is behind the peddle so i am going to go change the master cylinder right now . thanks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”