Seriouse problem with air intake and pre detonation

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

Seriouse problem with air intake and pre detonation

Post by mikeetown »

I'm going to get s youtube vid of this tomorrow. I've taken apart stuff 3 times now. Intake and all sensors and so on. My intake is leaking an excesive amount of air from inside the throttle body. Huge hissing sound.

My k8-ZE is pre detonating at random times. Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little. I'm so stuck and i'm so pissed cause i need a car running ASAP.

Please help guys. The vid i will post wil dumbfound you.

When i start the car it revs to 4000rpm right away, wont stay running unles the VAF is unplugged..... lol what the heck is going on!!
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mazdags94

Re: Seriouse problem with air intake and pre detonation

Post by mazdags94 »

"serious problems with triple posting" :)

I would start by fixing the vac leak (new intake) and potentially the VAF. Start by replacing the intake and see what happens. The car shouldnt stay running if the VAF is unplugged; the ecu needs info on how much air is going into the engine to control fuel, in conjunction with the TPS, CTS, and O2 sensors (a/f ratio). If the mixture is too lean, you could have a higher temp in in the combustion chamber and predetonate.

Are you throwing a CEL?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I agree with Mazdags94.

Take care of the leak. That's the most important part. Make sure you don't have a vacuum leak elsewhere.
If that doesn't solve the problem, you should have a sensor problem, which means you should have a CEL. If you do, get your codes. Anyways, before you start replacing sensors, get a can of contact cleaner. Most of the times it's the connectors that are dirty, not the sensors.

And take a close look at your knock sensor. If it's working properly, your engine should NOT detonate, ever.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

mazdags94 wrote:"serious problems with triple posting" :)

I would start by fixing the vac leak (new intake) and potentially the VAF. Start by replacing the intake and see what happens. The car shouldnt stay running if the VAF is unplugged; the ecu needs info on how much air is going into the engine to control fuel, in conjunction with the TPS, CTS, and O2 sensors (a/f ratio). If the mixture is too lean, you could have a higher temp in in the combustion chamber and predetonate.

Are you throwing a CEL?
not true, if the car is running and you unplug the vaf yes it will die out, but if you start it with the vaf already unplugged it will run.

i am thinking it is probably something simple. possibly just timing.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Spray some brake / carb cleaner on the intake or suggested spots that you think are causing the vacuum leak. If the engine revs up slightly you found the leak.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

projectzemx3 wrote:
mazdags94 wrote:"serious problems with triple posting" :)

Are you throwing a CEL?
not true, if the car is running and you unplug the vaf yes it will die out, but if you start it with the vaf already unplugged it will run.

i am thinking it is probably something simple. possibly just timing.
Maybe it's just me but my engine wouldn't start/run unless the VAF was plugged in :shrug: .
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

thx u guys.

so far, i've replaced the disti cause i had to.
-I checked the hard timing and its bang on (belt and cams)
-I just threw codes 2 and 5 all of a sudden which is knock and crank. If the crank position sensor didnt work though the engine wouldnt run right?? And i guess i should use the knock from my K8-DE and put it in my K8-ZE. It was working for sure.

Why should i replace the intake if it was previously working in great running condition??? I just took it off my running engine. de to Ze intakes are different but bolt on cause they work the same. The design is different for jap market with no EGR valve.

It runs like a bag still
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

thx u guys.

-I just threw codes 2 and 5 all of a sudden which is knock and crank. If the crank position sensor didnt work though the engine wouldnt run right?? And i guess i should use the knock from my K8-DE and put it in my K8-ZE. It was working for sure.

Why should i replace the intake if it was previously working in great running condition??? I just took it off my running engine. de to Ze intakes are different but bolt on cause they work the same. The design is different for jap market with no EGR valve.

It runs like a bag still
mikeetown
Inodoro Pereyra

Remember that CELs don't tell you that a sensor is bad: they tell you the READOUT from that sensor is inconsistent, or off spec. You may have a perfectly running sensor, but if you have a problem down its circuit (like a dirty connector, or a frayed/cut wire), or a mechanical problem that affects it (like a broken tooth on the harmonic balancer's crown), you will get a code anyways. You need to check those sensors, their circuits, and their actuators, and see what the problem is.

Diogenes of Sinope.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

mikeetown wrote:thx u guys.

It runs like a bag still
Are you referring to the intake manifold?? What 94mx3precidia was suggesting was to check the accordian intake tube that goes into the intake manifold. Being so old, you may have caused it to tear just by removing it and reinstalling it. You could always upgrade it to a solid, aluminum pipe intake.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Seriouseeeee
Inodoro Pereyra

solo_ryder wrote:Seriouseeeee
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
solo_ryder wrote:Seriouseeeee
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry I couldnt resist, I see this thread every day for the last week or something and I laugh everytime I see the title. :freak:
Inodoro Pereyra

I know. :lol:

Every time I see a thread like this one, I start lurking, waiting for somebody to say something... :lol: :lol:

Diogenes of Sinope.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

It's hard for me to take this thread seriousely now....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”