REALLY need help with this!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
NateBaden
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

REALLY need help with this!!

Post by NateBaden »

i need to replace my distributor but NOWHERE on the damn internet gave me the instructions i need
i can change the rotor and cap but i need to change the entire distributor
so if someone could please give me the instruction on how to do this i would GREATLY appreciate it!
wytbishop

Re: REALLY need help with this!!

Post by wytbishop »

You'll need to remove the stock airbox.

Label the spark plug wires so you don't mix them up. Remove them and the two wire harness plugs.

Mark the position of the bolt in the adjustment slot so that you can line up the new one in the same place.

There are two 12mm bolts that go into the tabs on the body of the distributor. Remove them.

Pull the distributor out of the head.

Make sure there is an O-ring on the new distributor. Remove the cap so that you can rotate the rotor.

Put the new distributor in the head and turn the rotor as you push it in. There is a notch in the end of the rotor shaft that will only allow it to go in one way. If it won't go all the way in, don't force it. Turn the rotor 180º and try again.

Once it's in align it according to the mark you made and tighten the 2 bolts.

Reconnect the harness and plug wires.

Should start first try...if not you got the wrong distributor.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
davmac

Re: REALLY need help with this!!

Post by davmac »

wytbishop has got you covered here. I'm just going to repeat the part about marking the position of the bolt in the adjustment slot. If you do a good job with that your timing will be dead on (assuming timing was good before the distributor failed) and the whole process will be very easy.

If you've already changed the cap just leave the wires connected so you can't mix them up. Remove the cap and push it out of the way while you remove the bolts that hold the distributor down.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”