Anyone run a 2nd resonator or muffler?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Anyone run a 2nd resonator or muffler?

Post by solo_ryder »

Looking for some ideas/advice.

I got 2.5" mandrel bent catback now, originally I asked him to put a big straight thru ressy behind the hi flow cat I have so that I could get the most performance with a quiet sound.. Or so I thought... I have run that setup before and it was great but I guess I am getting old because it was too loud.. I want a quiet exhaust now.

Ended up getting a baffled ressy, the kind that has a small diameter pipe inside and kinda snakes thru the material inside. It sounds great, nice and quiet but I feel like it is robbing me of power and defeating the purpose of my new exhaust piping (which I had to get regardless as my 308,xxx km piping had a few "holes" haha).

Question is, I was thinking of running a striaght thru ressy in the normal spot behind the cat and running a 2nd straight thru ressy after the first bend in that spot infront of the gas tank.. Has anyone done this? The 2nd ressy I am gonna use is a true cherry bomb style one and is not big (10" long and not that wide) whereas the normal ressy is bigger in diameter and has a few baffles in it.

Thoughts? Muffler in 2nd joint instead of res?

Oh forgot to add I will be ditching the magnaflow muffler and replacing it with a higher quality apexi WS2 muffler most likely. Not that it is any consolation
wytbishop

Re: Anyone run a 2nd resonator or muffler?

Post by wytbishop »

I am also getting old and thinking of revising my exhaust system. I was planning to add a Cat because at the moment I don't have one, but I'm fairly sure that it won't be enough. A pre-silencer is the way to go. I don't think a second resonator is going to be ver effective. We basically have the same system but mine is 2.25" with no Cat.

Magnaflow #10436 will be a good option for you. I am considering removing my resonator and adding this and a Cat.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Whats the difference between this and a high quality resonator? Look like the same product to me
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I've got a "hi-flow" cat, a 22" or so cherry bomb and a magnaflow muffler at the end. Not quiet but not overly loud. I still think I'd want it a bit quieter though. I can get pics sometime over the next few days if you like. 2.25" Mandrel.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I've got a "hi-flow" cat, a 22" or so cherry bomb and a magnaflow muffler at the end. Not quiet but not overly loud. I still think I'd want it a bit quieter though. I can get pics sometime over the next few days if you like. 2.25" Mandrel.
Thats what I am running, a magnaflow hi flow cat, large baffled resonator, and a magnaflow muffler. Its not that its too loud is the resonator I am using is too restrictive, if I go to a cherrybomb style then it will be too loud for sure.

I was wondering if running 2 resonators would be alot quieter then 1
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ok, I wasn't sure you had a muffler at the end. Why 2 resonators when you could just put 1 big one on? Baffles may slow the exhaust down some but I'm convinced they quiet it a lot more than my straight through. I don't think it can be hurting your car for more than 1hp - I know I will be rethinking mine as well but the turbo I plan to add should quiet things down...just add one of those! :welder:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Ok, I wasn't sure you had a muffler at the end. Why 2 resonators when you could just put 1 big one on? Baffles may slow the exhaust down some but I'm convinced they quiet it a lot more than my straight through. I don't think it can be hurting your car for more than 1hp - I know I will be rethinking mine as well but the turbo I plan to add should quiet things down...just add one of those! :welder:
I do have a large one in there tho, but its a restrictive type.

The non restrictive type (louvered core type) was too loud and it should be even quieter then a cherry bomb. Here is a "cherry bomb" style compared to the "Louvered core" style resonator:

Pretty sure that I have one even more restrictive then the louvered style, but I failed to look at it before he put it on the car. I was thinking of getting a louvered one and then adding a cherry bomb after the bend.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Check out the Vibrant resonator. I have a 2.5 with magnaflow cat, res and muffler and it's too loud a certain RPMS. Gives me a headache. I've done a little research on this and adding a second resonator doesn't seem to help. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 2.5 is louder than the 2.25 for sure and engines will tend to run richer with a 2.5 system.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The product I lined to is a muffler not a resonator. The resonator you have is basically aligning the sound waves in the exhaust flow to cancel some of them out. A second resonator won't do much good because the waves are already sort of lined up. A high flow Cat and a Magnaflow pre-muffler and muffler will give you the best quiet performance I think.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Daninski wrote:Check out the Vibrant resonator. I have a 2.5 with magnaflow cat, res and muffler and it's too loud a certain RPMS. Gives me a headache. I've done a little research on this and adding a second resonator doesn't seem to help. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 2.5 is louder than the 2.25 for sure and engines will tend to run richer with a 2.5 system.
I have done research on that resonator, while it is a good one, the only reason it is "ultra quiet" is because of the size. It is too large for me at my ride height, I am already scraping the inline resonator I have now on certain obstacles.

Wyt, to add onto what you have said, and from what i am reading.. A staggered inlet/outlet muffler after the cat would work well. If space allows... I am gonna have to look at the resonator that I have in there now and see how restrictive it is.

Keep in mind it is at a volume right now that I like.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

One small point, the vibrant resonator is oval and I looked at it's size specs and it looks like it'll fit right up there no probs. I think our biggest problem is the 2.5 system from a sound point of view. So what about this pre muffler deal. Which one are you referring to.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Daninski wrote:One small point, the vibrant resonator is oval and I looked at it's size specs and it looks like it'll fit right up there no probs. I think our biggest problem is the 2.5 system from a sound point of view. So what about this pre muffler deal. Which one are you referring to.
Hmm, perhaps you are right about the system. I had second thoughts about it after I installed it.. Not so much for sound reasons but for how the exhaust hangs lower and the problem of rear bend before the muffler. It was difficult to make with 2.5" piping and as a result it hits the subframe slightly on hard turns.

I may just sell the whole system from the cat back and redo with 2.25 and put on my Apexi WS2 muffler and the largest resonator/pre silencer I can possibly fit in there. Dan and Wyt, if you had a choice of a magnaflow product after the cat in 2.25" (since I can order locally for a good price) what would it be? The 10436 (or its 2.25" equivalent)?

Either way, I will keep searching/thinking for options and I will post up the outcome!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The 2.25" equivalent is the 10435. I agree with Dan that 2.5" is going to be inherrently louder than 2.25".

My plan is to lose the resonator and install a high flow cat with the 10435 inline muffler. I think I'll have this done in the next couple months. I'll let you know.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

What about something like a 11215 or 11245 , big wide muffler but wont hang too low?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I had the 14851 on my 2.25 system and it was pretty quiet until you pressed down on the accelerator.
I've been told going for a longer resonator won't help much and I'm not sure why. I have the short magnaflow resonator 14", 4' round and it's pretty useless. I still plan to buy that vibrant res as soon as I can budget for it :(
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”