Having some computer issues...

Off-Topic Discussions
ice_mann
antispam: No

Having some computer issues...

Post by ice_mann »

I've been having some minor techinical difficulties with my computer at home, it keeps telling me that I'm low on "virtual memory". I know this is probably going to sound like a dumb question but what is "virtual memory", and how does one go about increasing it. Keep in mind that I'm not a very computer savy person, so lamens terms would probably be best. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Megasquirt(dont know which one yet)
Slim Fans
Evo_Spec

Re: Having some computer issues...

Post by Evo_Spec »

seems like everything you need to know, it was the first link on google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

says you need more ram
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

Evo_Spec wrote:seems like everything you need to know, it was the first link on google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

says you need more ram
Could be that he is running to much crap too, or running out of hard drive space as well. (Low harddrive space, system cuts back on VM, thus low VM warnings.) Get CCleaner and turn off stuff you don't need on boot. Buck says that gets rid of your problem.

CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

I probably should have mentioned that this computer is pretty old, probably around almost 10 years. I dont think that I'm running too much crap, all I've got is a external HD (that stays unpluged unless I'm using it) and a printer/scanner and as far running out of space... I'll have to check when I get home. I just put CCleaner and cleaned out everything a couple of days ago and moved a bunch of stuff over to the external, doing that seened to speed it up a bunch.
My next question, if I need to go out and buy some RAM (something that I've never done before) what am I looking for?
95 MX3 GSZE- Silver, TWM STS, suspension techniques lowering springs, moroe struts, bronze-oil shifter bushings, leather MS shift knob, strut bars(Fleabay), ss headers, spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel , outlaw spacers, MS motor mounts , custom ss door sills, spyder projectors

WTB
coilovers
Slim Fans
h3xt0r

Post by h3xt0r »

ice_mann wrote:I probably should have mentioned that this computer is pretty old, probably around almost 10 years. I dont think that I'm running too much crap, all I've got is a external HD (that stays unpluged unless I'm using it) and a printer/scanner and as far running out of space... I'll have to check when I get home. I just put CCleaner and cleaned out everything a couple of days ago and moved a bunch of stuff over to the external, doing that seened to speed it up a bunch.
My next question, if I need to go out and buy some RAM (something that I've never done before) what am I looking for?
10yrs old? Probably looking at a new computer. (Not joking, they might not make your RAM style anymore.) Whos the manufacturer of the PC and whats the model and I can tell you what to get and where. ;)
-H3xT0r
kateCapshaw wrote:The moment somebody says to me, "This is very risky," is the moment it becomes attractive to me.
ice_mann

Post by ice_mann »

Well then, a new computer eh? Why didnt I see that coming :lol:. The make and model, I'm not sure but I can tell you if is definitely a pretty cheapo one, I can probably get that tomorrow afternoon/evening.

WTB
coilovers
Slim Fans
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

right-click "My Computer" on the desktop (or in your start menu) and then click Properties

Click the Advanced Tab then under Performance click "Settings..."

In Performance Options click Advanced Tab. Under Virtual memory click "Change"

See what it says as far as how much virtual memory is set. Increase it manually and click "Set" if you want. This may help.

But if your computer is 10 years old..get a new one!! Sounds like you have too little RAM to run the program(s) you are trying to run. Cmon now....you can get a decent compy for $300 these days.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You needs RAM I gots ram. I do have some SD and DDR but you'd need to check how much your running right now. Start, Settings, Control Panel, System. If you add more your system may not recognise it anyway.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Dragon1212 »

Okay virtual memory is basically you CPU's desk space, now some times the CPU uses hard drive space as ram and when you have small amounts or RAM. This works fine for normal computing as long as you don't run low on harddrive space once you run low on space on your harddrive the cpu has to give it back now depending on how much ram you have and what operating system is on the machine the "Virtual Ram" will get smaller resulting in less virtual memory, YOU need RAM. but its very important that you find out what type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, or SD) In a computer that is over 10 years its is Most likely SD and maybe DDR. That computer is really old, and may not support alot more ram you would have to look up the motherboard to find out what the max is.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.

Return to “Off-Topic”