klze still knocking after 3000$... please help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jordanmaschi17
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

klze still knocking after 3000$... please help

Post by jordanmaschi17 »

My klze began to knock about 3 months ago and i figured it was with one of the HLAs. I decided to replace them and thought i might as well do the springs and retainers while it was open. both heads were sand blasted and cleaned while the HLAs, springs and retainers were replaced. i also put a new water pump, and timing kit in.
The knocking was coming from the front head originally but now it is coming from the back head.. can anyone help me and tell me what i should do? could it be the machine shops fault or machanic that but the heads back in?
all parts were from interprep tuning so i no i got quality and its not faulty parts
wytbishop

Re: klze still knocking after 3000$... please help

Post by wytbishop »

"Knock" can mean a lot of thing depending on who you're talking to. You have to either describe the symptoms with more detail or provide a good quality sound clip or something. This sort of thing is really hard to diagnose over he Internet.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Wytbishop is right. However, if you're saying what I THINK you're saying, it's not knocking, and it's a cheap problem to fix.
If what you're talking about is a loud ticking noise coming from the cylinder head, similar to valve ticking but louder, you need to replace the friction gear spring(s). The FGS is a washer shaped spring that holds the 2 gears in the driven camshaft (1 on each head) together. Due to a design mistake, the old style FGS start making noise once they lose their tension. So Mazda redesigned them and issued a recall. You will be able to recognize the new style ones because the spring has 2 little tabs in it's center hole, and the nut has 2 corresponding notches.
You need to buy one or two gear springs and nuts, whether you want to only replace the one making the noise, or both.
The Mazda part numbers are:

KLY1-12-417A for the spring
KL01-12-412A for the nut

In the past you could also buy them from Ford, but now the geniuses have discontinued them. Another reason why being a Ford owner sucks...
Anyways, here is a thread about them, with links for tutorials on how to replace them.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-genera ... embly.html
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

Are you saying doing the heads+ a water pump+ a timing belt kit cost $3000 or is that with labour from a mech + the motor ect, etc...
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Sandblasting heads? That sounds like a nightmare.

I'm with Inodoro. As soon as I read rear head I thought friction gear spring.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

valve tap is typical on HLA mazda engines. I say just live with it. From what you are describing it doesn't sound like you have "knock"..you'd know if your engine was knocking..its much more pronounced. Switch to solid lifters if you want to get rid of the tapping the HLA's are known for...you could've switched to solid lifters for about $500 instead of wasting all that money on unnecessary machine/valvetrain work.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”