BLOWING WHITE SMOKE.. and...NEED HELP!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Snowman3karrotz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

BLOWING WHITE SMOKE.. and...NEED HELP!

Post by Snowman3karrotz »

Ok i have read postings for about an hour now and haven't seen any that relate to my problem...

Yesterday I made a left turn, I gunned it on the left turn in 1st gear.
10 SECONDS later the car started to drive rough and i noticed that i had a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

mx-3 4cly turbo 7psi

I thought it was my head gasket but i dont see ANY coolant in my oil
and my coolant level is steady haven't lost any coolant.
as well as NO LEAKS under the car

took off my valve cover to see if i could see anything visual in there wrong... Nothing it looked fine...

I have a breather on the side of my valve cover and its blowing oil out, the pressure is too high in the valve cover.

ANY IDEAS???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: BLOWING WHITE SMOKE.. and...NEED HELP!

Post by SuperK »

excessive crankcase pressure... is a sign... of a blown head gasket. It can blow pressure from the combustion chamber into the crankcase. This just happened to my roomies car, it blew excessive pressure into the coolant lines and would overheat because of the pressure and the air.

I guarantee that it's your head gasket.

for some reason it's hard to tell because when the HG is blown... I've never been able to tell from the oil or coolant whether it's blown or not.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
myfirstmazda

Post by myfirstmazda »

check your power brake booster. I read about something like this a long time ago. the master cylinder was leaking fluid into the booster, and when going around a hard turn, the accumulated fluid would get sucked into the vacuum hose and burned by the engine. or it could be an old wives' tale. couldn't hurt to check, though.
Snowman3karrotz

damn, headgasket it is then . lol here comes my whole sunday dedicated to fixing my head gasket! ive never replaced one that was in a motor, this should be fun...

any suggestions or anything i should look out for while doing this?

AND THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

it's not that bad to do a HG job. I don't think the turbo makes it much more difficult.

There's a bracket that bolts from the block to the IM that you want to unbolt from the IM.
Slip off the timing belt, remove the coolant hoses/fuel lines, unbolt the exhaust manifold then head bolts and pull the head off with the IM attached.

I've removed the head in probably an hour if you know what you're going for.
I would go something in this order:

Timing belt (and the bracket/mount which bolts to the head)
Fuel Lines / Coolant Lines
EGR pipe (unbolt from IM)
IM bracket
Exhaust manifold
Head bolts

... and you should have the head off... I don't think I missed anything.

please don't get a ebay gasket. Rockauto has a head gasket which is top quality from Rock Products (coincidental names, no relation) at a great price.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Snowman3karrotz

Hey, SuperK i removed everything and the head gasket was fine... the intake manifold gasket was fine... the exhaust manifold gasket...fine.... the head NOT cracked everything seemed to be fine i even had a buddy come over and 2nd look it.. he said everything seems fine also..

Im not sure what else it could be??? i am running turbo so if theirs a difference in what it could be.. idk...

Thanks in adance again...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Isn't there a coolant line that runs to the turbo? I'm not a turbo expert but it's something to consider.

Well... I guess you get a new HG now. Is there any major buildup on the piston like cake of oil or anything? Did you inspect the block and head for any damages? cracks or whatnot?

Crankcase pressure can also happen on the bottom end... which would be rings... Did you do a compression test?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Snowman3karrotz

SuperK, man i appreciate all the help, Im just gonna part the whole car out man, ive already set my mind to it. I took apart the head and the pistons are fucked man im not gonna waist my time pulling the motor and rebuilding the bottom end, i dont have the money to.

the turbo and everything works perfect so if you need parts let me know. 94 mx3 turbo black no dents rust, or anything
Savin

Post by Savin »

I'd be interested in the rolling chassis with/without trans (no motor or interior) If you'd let it go CHEAP, as the most valuable stuff is all the turbo stuff.

...is this that black mx-3 that was for sale on Chi-town craigslist not too long ago?
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Snowman3karrotz

nah i havent posted it yet but if your interested make me an offer .. my number is 224 567 2068
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Heydont give up I have some pistons for you and you can change the pistons while the engine is in the car
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Snowman3karrotz

superk... really?? how can u change it while its in the engine? and how much r you asking for the pistons?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

OK so I checked prices on parts. Head gasket/rings/rod bearings are 120. I'd let you have the pistons and rods for 60 bucks. You'd also need oil pan gasket for the main bearing support plate and some RTV.

Fel-Pro - Oil Pan Gasket Set
Part Number: OS30631R
7.99 at ORLY's auto parts

All parts are manufactured from Rock Products which serve most dealers, actually. The ring set is chrome-moly, which are naturally harder to seat (didn't have a problem with my engines seating) but they're supposed to be more durable than the economy rings which are about 20 bucks cheaper but are I believe just a cast iron.

Rockauto:
- Rock Products

Connecting Rod Bearings - 18 bucks
Piston Rings - 55
Head Gasket - 31

O'Reilly's
- Fel Pro

Oil Pan Gasket Set - 8

If you'd like I can order it al, rering and apply the bearings for you then ship it all off to you to install... Or I icould just ship the piston and rods and let you swap everything.

you'll need some RTV to seal up the oil pan/support bearing, I like the ultra black RTV.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”