95 B6 motor question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nicklebagfarley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

95 B6 motor question

Post by nicklebagfarley »

ok so I just bought this MX from my buddy, we recently rplaced the headgasket because of the car being over heated, the head was shaved .030 and 3 valves were replaced and all of which were reseated. so now i have the car because my buddy who did own it lost his liscense, the car runs like complete trash it has no power at all like none. It is drivable, but very slow , can barrely make it up to 75. The engine was timed porbably 6 or 7 times and was checked with a timing light. So my question is does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong with the engine?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 95 B6 motor question

Post by umcamara »

It's pretty tough to try and help based on this description. You've mentioned nothing of any maintenance or tune-up items that have been done. You make no mention of any check engine lights or anything.

Did you put the engine back in the car after rebuilding it?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Common things are spark plug,spark plug wire,air filter,fuel filter,but i am sure if you changed the head gasket you have changed them too..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

DeadMaker wrote:Common things are spark plug,spark plug wire,air filter,fuel filter,but i am sure if you changed the head gasket you have changed them too..
One would hope, but not everyone has common sense...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
nicklebagfarley
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by nicklebagfarley »

well i wasnt incharge of the new headgasket, because at the time it was not my car and nor did i ever expect it to be, so new plugs wires and an air filter were not put in, the check engine light is not on, it runs somewhat better, because there was a huge crack in the intake tube, i patched that up and now it runs somewhat better, but it still seems like its a bit doggy
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I would first bring the distributor into question.

Did YOU check the timing yourself? and the ignition timing? If you haven't done it personally, I would suggest making sure the notches line up perfectly while the car is off, then when you are satisfied that EVERYTHING is lined up, turn it on than do the ignition timing. If you've already done this then ignore me... and test the disty.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

Is this a man-stick or a pussy-matic? Was the head bolted down correctly? Wat HAVE you checked?
There are lots of things that could be wrong and instead of guessing, you should post wat YOU have done, don't ever trust anything of wat other people tell you, since they could have "forgotten" to do one thing or another.
The car I got had lost of problem, including a cracked head gasket, and it still pulled pretty decent, so give me more info and I can try to help.
Something as simple as a messed up spark plug could be throwing your engine out of balance, clogged fuel filter, anything.
When I took apart my car 2 days ago, the intake cam was off 2 teeth. That messed up my low end torque.
See where I'm getting to?
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”