Digital Cluster!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Digital Cluster!

Post by Mooneggs »

So I recently acquired a digital cluster from a Eunos 100 in Australia. This cluster is plug and play in BA and BG Astina's so I was hoping I might be able to modify it to fit in an mx-3. Some of the plugs on the back are similar but it looks like it requires a speedo cable for it to work. This may end up being a failed project as I am not good with electronics in general and this would be a pretty ambitious project even for someone with decent experience! :? The next step is to see if it will even fit in the dash!

Does anyone have a picture of how the RS cluster looks on the back? please show pics of each of the plugs closeup so I can see if they are the same as the V6 cluster...

Comparision pics to stock mx-3 V6 cluster:

Back of digital cluster:

Back of mx-3 v6 cluster:

Here's the vid and pics of what it will look like when it works as well as people who have modified the colors to blue and red:

turpro1993
antispam: No

Re: Digital Cluster!

Post by turpro1993 »

You can just grab the schematics for the clusters you have and repin the connections. That's what I'm doing with mine. Using a protege 4cyl dash harness and mx3 v6 cluster. The cable speedo I see as your biggest problem. Some v6 swapped protege guys just put the 4 cyl cable into the speedo gear hole in the trans and it doesn't move but a make shift braket would be best
1993 Mazda Protege LX soon to be bp-t3 powered
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I can try to help. I've done some re-pinning.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man if I knew about that cluster I would of done that a LONG time ago!

:(
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jr4wdtrbo

Post by jr4wdtrbo »

Thats really cool looking. I guess I didnt know they made digital clusters for our cars!!!! :shrug:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

That blue one looks amazing - don't know if I could deal with the KPH though, would probably get too many speeding tickets for not knowing how fast I was going! Although, I probably could learn the conversions.

I was originally thinking of making a cluster from oil filled gauges so I could incorporate oil pressure and digital temperature into the area instead of mounting them on the Apillar or the vent holes. Would cost quite a bit though, and not look stock!

Keep us up to date on the progress, might have to steal this from ya!
Surgefilter

Post by Surgefilter »

8) Awesome. I want. Let us know how you get on with it.
Let water find it's own level
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Man if I knew about that cluster I would of done that a LONG time ago!
X2 :!: ...let the search begin :lol:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I like this idea a lot. The only issue, which has been stated already, is the KPH..

but that is a one sexy gauge cluster :love:
Tollis

Post by Tollis »

You Americans are the only ones in the world who are to stubborn to accept Metric and KPH.

Im in Canada and would LOVE this is it works. Get working on that and post up a tutorial if you find a way to do it :P
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

This is really cool and all but come on, I need my analog gauges =P
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:This is really cool and all but come on, I need my analog gauges =P
Agreed!

I think it looks pretty good, unique for sure... but I prefer the stock look day in and day out. This would annoy me...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Could someone please post up a pic of the back of an RS cluster with the mechanical speedo slot? Also some closeup pics of the pinouts... maybe a pic of the speedo cable plug too?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i agree that digital gauges functionally are not the best, but who freakin cares?? that looks so ridiculously pimp. you HAVE to make this work!! it is your duty to yourself, the MX-3 community and indeed mankind. do it!!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man, I would of jumped on doing that mod like a fat kid on a smartie! Trust me, I was looking into some kind of digital cluster/HUD that didn't look bad for like 2 years before I parted her out. Ideally, I would of like a digital speedo/mech tach combo like the Rx-8, but that didn't exist.
Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:I like this idea a lot. The only issue, which has been stated already, is the KPH..
Doesn't the scale change button change that?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Appearance”