4 banger auto trannys?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

4 banger auto trannys?

Post by mikeinaus »

i was just wondering how reliable the 4 cylinder automatic trannys are? i know the gs's are crap but how reliable are the rs's?

my insurance company wants $1300 for an accident i was in last year before i renew my insurance or there going to double my premiums for 3 years. thinking of selling my car then with the money paying that off then grabbing a beater to get around in. theres a mx3 rs for $800 with a very nice paint job that looks to be in good shape with an auto tranny. he says its a 93 but it has the 94 interior so im thinking its a dohc unless he did a dash swap.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 4 banger auto trannys?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

all autos are crap.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

he says the tranny slips if you floor it but its alright for regular driving. ive never herd of that before on an auto but its not a very good sign. guess ill have to look for something else. may have to giveup on mx3s for a bit :(.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

or just give up on autos. My wife has always driven a manual. Change your tampon and get a stick.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

lol i have a 5 speed and i actually prefer them. theres no mx3s around here in my price range that arnt auto :( might go with a 323 or protege
BlazeSquall
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by BlazeSquall »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:or just give up on autos. My wife has always driven a manual. Change your tampon and get a stick.
lol, my mom taught me to drive a stick.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

ok 1 more time around I will explain this for those who instantly say autos are crap. The auto trans was not crap, in fact if its built up it will work better than any 5 spd. Here is the skinny on why they fail so often, its the trans cooler, 4 banger and v6 alike, the cooler on them was plain out junk. If you do the cooler upgrade and the trans is in decent working order then you will get a much longer life out of it simple as that. All the probe gt guys know about the infamous cd4e trans and how crappy they were, well I found the issue with it fixed one for my buddy we installed a remote atf filter with a upgraded cooler, he has a klze in it and over 400,000 kms on the original cd4e trans and it still runs great. If you own one here is what you need to know;
1) change the filter and atf every 50,000 kms
2) upgrade the cooler to a better one especially in hotter climates and stop and go traffiic
3) be aware of the auto limitations, it won't take consant abuse, just like a clutch won't take it.

A built up auto will hold more power than a 5 spd. why do you think drag racers use them so much? The auto for the mx-3s were not bad trans it was the cooler at fault simple as that.

Return to “Transmissions”