Where do I find the engine identification code?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zreon

Where do I find the engine identification code?

Post by zreon »

Hey everyone,

I picked up my new BP for my mx-3 today. Its from a 96 Kia Sephia. I want to make sure I picked up the correct engine because I was getting there right as they were closing. I have looked all over the engine and the only stamp I can find is k247, which from what I can find is the cylinder head. This code was in the front right under the valve cover. Where would the BP stamp be on this engine?

Just found a picture with an engine that looks just like mine and its in a 2000 sephia ls :/ I have a feeling I will be making a trip back to where I got it tomorrow to swap it for the correct one.

Thanks for your help!
zreon

Re: Where do I find the engine identification code?

Post by zreon »

Well after a little more reading, it appears I might be ok. I have a 95 mx-3 DOHC OBD-I engine. I found a few threads on here that say this is a newer BP engine and should be an even better fit since I have a 94+ mx-3. As usual though, there are mixed opinions on this forum. Can anyone confirm this?
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Here was my code:

and this is what my engine looks like:

This was off a '94 Mazda Protege. Second Generation BP.

Hope that helps!
zreon

Post by zreon »

Thanks for the pictures. Where exactly is that code at though? I'm having a hard time figuring that out from the picture.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

zreon wrote:Thanks for the pictures. Where exactly is that code at though? I'm having a hard time figuring that out from the picture.
by the water thermosensor, distributor, and thermostat.

On that pic, to the right of the code stamp is the distributor (which isn't installed in the pic)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”