different size rims

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
eydi
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

different size rims

Post by eydi »

has anybody here tried putting 16" up fronts and 17" on the back? the reason I am asking is i know this guy that has 2 sets of rims (exact same model) but different in sizes. He got into an accident twice and the some of the rims are messed up. Now he only has 3-16" and 2-17" and he is willing to let all of it go for $150. I am just wondering the pros and cons of this. If I ever do this, both the fronts and back would have the same tire size of course (in diameter). Thanks guys
wytbishop

Re: different size rims

Post by wytbishop »

You could get the overall diameter of the wheels close enough that it wouldn't cause any problems but it would just look ridiculous.

205/50/16 and 205/45/17 are about the same diameter as stock.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Its possible, but also stupid as hell. The only reason u should be doing that is if the car is designed for it (like the chrysler crossfire), if you are running gnarly wheel setup and you want some agressive tires on the back or if you are running some type of slick on the front of the car and u need a small and wide rim to get the sidewall needed.

As for a normal rim, that's possible but not cool. You would need to make sure the tire diameters for the front and rear are pretty much equal so that there is even wear and the car drives normal.

What I suggest is you buy the 16s and then source 1 rim whether it be new or used, so that you have a full set. That's the best option. Don't mix and match
eydi

Post by eydi »

ok guys thanks alot... I just havent seen any cars like that other than the Acura NSX ofcourse and it doesnt look bad on the NSX. its just a thought
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There are a few cars that are given that look but their suspension is designed for the rear wheels to have a larger overall diameter than the front. If you did that your MX-3 would handle very badly.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Its just a bad idea. Unless you've got a crazy track set up with serious slicks on the front and skinnies on the back, its a bad idea.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”