Oil Filter removal

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mortenmorfar

Oil Filter removal

Post by mortenmorfar »

I have an oil filter that's on really tight, so I have bought a filter cup from ebay, size 64mm
isn't that the correct size ?, I measured my new filter with a vernier caliper, 63.8
but then I looked the filter up, it's supposed to be 68mm wtf ?
So does anyone know what size "socket" mazda uses ?
jkbreazeale

Re: Oil Filter removal

Post by jkbreazeale »

As crazy as this sounds... make sure you are taking it off the right way. You could have gotten a oil filter wrench from a local auto parts store for no more than $10. As far as a socket size and going into mm's and such, you are making it harder than what it needs to be. You can also access it from the top side of the block if you have average size arms.

Hope this helps!
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

Best tool is your hands and a decent rag. Otherwise I use chanel locks when its stuck and just pierce it further down with a screwdriver if its beyond hope and turn it that way. But as for finding the right cap socket for your filter youll need to know what brand it is, fram,mazda,purolater and k&n all use diferent wrenchs if I remember right from my time at advance *shudder* because they each put a different number sides on the bottom, some are 14 side 64mm some are 15 64mm lol and so on.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Screwdriver method...messy but never fails. Make sure the old o-ring doesn't stick to the filter head.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

Well I had a tie wrench on the sucker last time I tried to get it off, it just squished the filter flat in the middle, so it's on there pretty tight :)
I know about the screwdriver method, but if it fails I'm pretty screwed :P, so I hope the filter top fits and it can take it off
otherwise I'm taking it to a place that can do it for me.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Guilty! I've done the screwdriver method, just never looked away until it was too late. 20W50 doesn't taste good at all!
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

The dude that thought it was a good idea to place the filter in that "cave" is an idiot
No car shop in my town have anything that you can use up there, there isn't room
to turn a filter wrench, and the claw filter tool is too big, so I have ordered the 64mm top from England
which I hope fits :)
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Sleeper6 wrote:Best tool is your hands and a decent rag. Otherwise I use chanel locks when its stuck and just pierce it further down with a screwdriver if its beyond hope and turn it that way. But as for finding the right cap socket for your filter youll need to know what brand it is, fram,mazda,purolater and k&n all use diferent wrenchs if I remember right from my time at advance *shudder* because they each put a different number sides on the bottom, some are 14 side 64mm some are 15 64mm lol and so on.
AHA! I knew you worked @ advance!!! We met before :lol:
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

I got a filter wrench on ebay, it fits like a glove, so the filter on our cars are a 64mm.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”