intake gasket help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MapaX5
antispam: No

intake gasket help

Post by MapaX5 »

ok, i don't wanna get flagged here. yall can read my posts, i'm VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ON THE B6 ENGINE. but i am still at a cross roads here.
i recently acquired a capri head, had it decked, light porting/polishing.
now, i went to buy the gaskets for the install, and can't find them for the mx-3. so i went to the dealer and they special ordered me one.
when i went to compare it (placed it on the head) the gasket is about an inch longer! wtf?!!
is the '94 RS's intake mani really a bolt on to the capri head?
i searched, and everyone says it should be, but i went a different dealer, and gave them the part number for the intake mani gasket and it comes up for my car, '94 mx-3 RS.
but it will NOT fit the capri head.
so....will the capri head be a DIRECT bolt on? or do i need the intake mani off the capri?
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: intake gasket help

Post by Ryan »

Do the holes line up perfectly between the gaskets? Thats all that matters.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

no they don't. they are about 1" appart...
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well, isn't the Capri SOHC?

I would imagine that there would be a difference between the location of SOHC vs DOHC ports.

I don't KNOW anything about the B6DE, but maybe the head has different ports, even if it has the same head gasket pattern.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

Uh....no. Capri's are DOHC.
Not to be mean, but if you don't know the engine, why answer? Lol. I always thought the B6 heads were all the same?
Has anyone done this conversion, and would care to help me?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Maybe you can teach me something then. All the Capri's I've seen use a N/A B6ME or a B6T (sohc).

What year/model is your Capri that it has a DOHC?

This motor?

I don't even know what motor that is. Not a B6DE.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

uh...by definiton, the B6T is a DOHC 1.6L Turbo engine, the one on the top.
the bottom one is a '94 RS 1.6, DOHC as well.
the SOHC has the plugs right by the exhaust mani, while the DOHC has them right between the cams.
Now, Canada was the only americas market to get the SOHC capri, the rest of us, even the non turbo was DOHC.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well I'm Canadian, so that would explain it...

And if a B6T is dohc, what do you call the turbo sohc? It came in a few cars. 323gtx for one.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I've looked at the capri engine personally. It's a B6 DOHC... but NOT a B6D/DE. The heads are different.

Come on guys, where's your wiki research?
Two versions were offered for all model years: base and XR2. The base model featured a Mazda 1.6L DOHC 4-cylinder rated at 100 hp. The XR2 featured a turbocharged version of 1.6L engine rated at 132 hp. Both the base model and the XR2 had a 5-speed manual transmission standard; a 4-speed automatic was optional only for the base model.
Engine(s)
1.6 L B6-2E I4
1.6 L Turbo B6T I4
1,597 cc (1.597 L; 97.5 cu in) B6-2E - (78x83.6 mm), also known as B6-ME - This was a variant of the B6-E with a 16-valve cylinder head. It is found in the 1991-1994 Mercury Capri, 1992-1994 California-spec Mazda 323 and 1992-1993 Mazda MX-3. The B6-ME produced 88 hp (66 kW) and 96 ft·lbf (130 N·m).

More info, cuzz I can't read:
...then further refined for the 1991-1994 Mercury Capri and 1994-1996 2nd Generation Mazda MX-3 RS. The third generation B6D features an alloy cam cover, a VLIM (VICS) intake, had a 9:1 compression ratio and produced 107 hp (79 kW).
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

lol, i did my research, how do you think i came up with this idea? if the heads are different, how can we use MIATA cams in your engines? or are the cams the same, just not the bolt patterns?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

well let me tell you the miata cam swap was a pain in the arse. whew, it was all wierd like, getting everything to time correctly, and I guarantee you that it's STILL not timed correctly.

I believe it's a B6DE variant however I'd doublecheck all the passageways match the head and the block. As long as they do, you're going to have to swap intake manis... which I dunno if you be swapping the ECU with that.

however power-wise the capri was inferior.. it could be because of the head/intake combo. I am not sure.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

well, the idea was to use my just-port and polished capri head on my '94RS but the intake mani will not bolt up. which then makes me wonder, how come the exh. mani does? what was mazda thinking?
also, what other intake manis will fit the capri head? i kno the miata will, but miatas are RWD and thus have the intake mani face the wrong side. and i'm not gonna down-grade to the capri intake mani because they ARE crappier. so, unless i go IRTB, then i'm stuck with the damn '94 head. this sucks.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”