Interesting Problem I need suggestions for

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
NorCalMX3

Interesting Problem I need suggestions for

Post by NorCalMX3 »

My GS is acting up recently...

A few days ago, i was driving home, when the car sputtered, dropped RPM, and died when i brought it to a halt. it cranked over, but wouldn't start. I noticed a foul sulfer / rotten egg smell when i was pushing her home. after I got home, I tried starting it again and it started right up. Like an idiot, i didn't look into the problem; now a week later (after driving it about 100 miles), I just had the same problem. car drops RPM, dies, and again with the heavy, pungent sulfur smell.

what would cause this? i hear that a sulfur smell could be attributed to a clogged cat (which was recently replaced), but after the first incident, the car ran just fine for that week, no unusual loss of power.
1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
solo_ryder

Re: Interesting Problem I need suggestions for

Post by solo_ryder »

NorCalMX3 wrote:My GS is acting up recently...

A few days ago, i was driving home, when the car sputtered, dropped RPM, and died when i brought it to a halt. it cranked over, but wouldn't start. I noticed a foul sulfer / rotten egg smell when i was pushing her home. after I got home, I tried starting it again and it started right up. Like an idiot, i didn't look into the problem; now a week later (after driving it about 100 miles), I just had the same problem. car drops RPM, dies, and again with the heavy, pungent sulfur smell.

what would cause this? i hear that a sulfur smell could be attributed to a clogged cat (which was recently replaced), but after the first incident, the car ran just fine for that week, no unusual loss of power.
Sounds like your disty is dying, common v6 issue

As for the smell, could be the cat yea.. The reason it smells may be cause it is running at a normal warm temp and then the spark dissipates and you are getting raw unburnt fuel down into the exhaust hitting the cat and causing that smell. I would look at fixing the disty first by either replacing it or doing a HEI module.
NorCalMX3

Post by NorCalMX3 »

solo_ryder wrote:

As for the smell, could be the cat yea.. The reason it smells may be cause it is running at a normal warm temp and then the spark dissipates and you are getting raw unburnt fuel down into the exhaust hitting the cat and causing that smell. I would look at fixing the disty first by either replacing it or doing a HEI module.
oh i forgot to mention that i did the HEI a few months ago...

maybe a loose connection?
1992 MX-3 GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2607936
1995 Honda Del Sol (Current Main until KL-ZE Swap):
http://teamsolcal.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20662
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

NorCalMX3 wrote:
solo_ryder wrote:

oh i forgot to mention that i did the HEI a few months ago...

maybe a loose connection?
Yea, check the connections. I had an issue a few weeks ago with a bad connection on a plug on my disty.. My car was sputtering when cold. Drive it some more after checking all the grounds and connections and see if the issue continues
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

when mine died because of disty, it did almost the same thing. check it out!
what kind of car IS that?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”